We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide to kebabs?

Coventry, UK
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Guide to kebabs?

We are staying at the back of the resort in September, near Sideks, and I'd like to try some different Turkish food this time. I know I like Shish kofte, and Doner and Iskander kebabs, but can anyone recommend or describe any others. So whats an Adnan kebab, for example?

18 replies to this topic
Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,740 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide to kebabs?

Do you mean an Adana kebab? It is minced lamb mixed with chilli flakes and made into a long sort of pattie, and put on a skewer and grilled over charcoal. Spicey hot and very tasty! Usually served on top of pide bread, normally accompanied by grilled onion, pepper, tomato and rice (and possibly chips like everything else is in tourist resorts!)

Have you ever tried any of the mezze dishes Ned?

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide to kebabs?

The best Turkish meal, kebab, we had was at the Hanci Ocabasi, the old Turkish Delight, next door to Titanic, it was really lovely.and fantastic value, hope this helps.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,740 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide to kebabs?

And an Urfa kebab is just like an Adana kebab - but without the spicy hot chilli flakes!

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,147 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guide to kebabs?

Beyti kebab is also lovely - it's minced meat which is rolled up in very thin dough and then cooked - served with a yogurt sauce.

Coventry, UK
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guide to kebabs?

Thanks for the tips, folk. Keep them coming!. i have seen an "Ottoman" kebab on a review. Any one know what that one is?

I have tried some mezze dishes, Attagul, but I'm happy to try more.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,740 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guide to kebabs?

Sorry Ned - I thought you were asking about Turkish food, rather than just kebabs! There is also an aubergine (PATLICAN) kebab: a slice of aubergine then a meatball (kofte) repeated along a skewer and then put on the grill.

But I have seen a lot of dishes called "kebab" which bear no resemblance to what we think of as being a kebab: ie meat (and maybe veg) put on a skewer and grilled (shish), or a doner kebab. For example - testi kebab: this is meat and veg stewed in a clay pot which is brought to the table when cooked and the pot is smashed in front of you! You see a lot of these in Cappadocia, but have sometimes seen them on menus on the coast.

I think an "Ottoman kebab" might be the name given by a restaurant to their own speciality?

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guide to kebabs?

Just found this, quite interesting reading - put the kettle on -

Classic Shish Kebab, or 'Şiş' - In Turkish cuisine, 'şiş' (SHEESH') refers to the metal skewer the meat is laced on. Chunks of marinated lamb or beef are placed on the skewers, usually without vegetables, and turned over a coal fire until they're done to perfection.

Adana Kebab - 'Adana kebabı' (ah-DAH'-nah keh-BOB'-uh) is the signature dish named after one of Turkey's most famous "kebab cities," Adana. 'Adana' kebab is made with ground beef or a mixture of ground beef and lamb that's kneaded together with onion, garlic, and Turkish spices, then packed by hand around large, flat metal skewers. When they're placed on the grill, the fat drips from the meat causing it to bind together. It forms a long, hollow tube of cooked meat.

'Urfa Kebab' - Another popular kebab is the cousin of 'Adana' kebab. Named after the city of Urfa, 'Urfa' kebab is prepared in nearly the same fashion as 'Adana' minus the heat. 'Urfa' has a mild flavor seasoned with onions, garlic, cumin, oregano and sweet paprika kneaded into the meat. It cooks up tender and juicy letting the flavour of the meat shine through.

Çöp Şiş - Another favorite from the grill is called 'çöp şiş' (Chope Shish), which literally translates as 'shish made of garbage. 'Çöp şiş' is actually lamb scraps and fat, the "garbage" left over when trimming perfectly symmetrical cubes of meat for a classic shish kebab. These small bits of boneless meat are pounded together with garlic and tomato, then left to marinate mixture of black pepper, oregano and olive oil. Once placed on small wooden skewers, the bits are thrown on the hot grill along with the other kebabs. The tiny pieces of meat brown quickly to perfection and the pieces of fat become crispy and add extra flavour. 'Çöp şiş' is often treated like an appetizer, served before the main kebab meal. It whets the palate and prepares the stomach for larger things to come.

Döner Kebab - Döner kebab (done-EYR' keh-BOB'-uh), or 'turning kebab,' is a popular Turkish street food from which the Greek gyro and Arabic shawarma were derived. But in Turkey, the meat is leaner, and it's served much browner and crisper. Shavings of 'turning kebab' are usually eaten plain over a bed of rice or wrapped in a soft tortilla made from durum wheat flour, called 'durum' (doo-ROOM').

Iskender Kebab - 'Iskender kebabı' (iss-ken-DEYR' keh-BOB'-uh), another popular kebab dish from Bursa, is named after Iskender Efendi himself. Crispy shavings of 'döner' are laid upon a loaf of tender, flat 'pide' bread, similar to pita, that's been cut into small squares. The entire dish is doused with melted butter, creamy yogurt, and a tangy tomato sauce. Authentic 'Iskender kebabı' is still served in Bursa, as well as across Turkey in a chain of restaurants named after Iskender Efendi himself.

'Ali Nazik' Kebab - Coming in a close second to 'Iskender kebabi' in terms of popularity is 'Polite Ali' kebab, better known as 'alinazik kebabı' (ah-KEE'-nah-ZEEK' keh-BOB'-uh). This succulent classic is a combination of marinated, grilled lamb served over a bed of warm, fire-roasted eggplant mixed with plain yogurt. If you're an eggplant lover, this dish is for you. The smoky flavor of the roasted eggplant really enhances the taste of the grilled lamb.

'Patlıcanlı Kebab,' or Eggplant Kebab - Another popular kebab featuring eggplant, this time, Turkish meatballs, called 'köfte' are sandwiched between layers of sliced eggplant brushed with olive oil.

Chicken Kebab, or 'Tavuk Şiş' - 'Tavuk' (tah-VOOK') or 'piliç' (pee-LEECH') shish kebab is made with either breast meat or dark meat marinated first in milk or plain yoğurt, then in olive oil and spices. A spicier version is coated with seasoned red pepper paste.

'Beyti' Kebab - 'Beyti' is a recipe said to date back to Ottoman times. It was rediscovered by a famous Istanbul restaurant with the same name and is now popular all over the country. A mixture of perfectly seasoned ground beef and lamb rolled in a thin flour tortilla-like dough called 'yufka.' It's then sliced into rounds and put on the skewer to grill.

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,147 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guide to kebabs?

Ottoman kebabs are lovely - but are more like what we would think of as a casserole than a kebab. They're usually served on an iron dish kept hot at your table with a flame underneath it.

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guide to kebabs?

As Attagul said Blondie and you have just confirmed it, I believe Ottoman kebabs are whatever a particular restaurant chooses to do and as you say, served on a burning skillet. If you google Ottoman kebabs it brings up loads of restaurants but no recipes.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,740 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guide to kebabs?

Interesting read DCM. I have never had a beyti kebab, but have been looking at the net. I thought this "yufka" was more like "filo pastry" - the stuff they use to make borek or baklava?

Reply to: Guide to kebabs?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations