We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lira vs Sterling

Blandford Forum...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lira vs Sterling

We are going back to Içmeler next week. Last year was our first time in Turkey, and we where surprised we could pay everywhere in sterling. We did change from home last year, but someone told me it might be cheaper to change there, or even pay in sterling where ever we go.

I'm aware of the value of the sterling has dropped a lot since last year. That is why I am not sure if it pays of changing here at home, or even change at all.

Any thoughts is very welcomed.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
14 replies to this topic
Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lira vs Sterling

We normally take a small amount of lira with us and the rest in sterling, which we change over there as you will get a higher rate in Turkey. Don't use the actual change offices, which are notorious for ripping people off - instead, just ask in the bars/shops or restaurants what rate they are giving that day (many have a notice up with the rate on it) - and watch them count it out in front of you. Some of the bank ATMs dispense sterling notes too - the Is Bank under the Kapmar Hotel (machine on the left-hand side) and the Garanti bank one on the main road across from Alin's Grill does too.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Kapmar Hotel
Kapmar Hotel
620 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
3,197 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lira vs Sterling

Totally agree Blondie, however others will say you have to use exchange offices or banks because otherwise it's illegal. There have been many cases and forum posts of people getting ripped off at the exchange centres.

You will always get a better exchange in Turkey and as Turkey uses the Turkish Lira, that is the best currency to use. If you change up £100 - £200 at a time, it's not difficult to work out if you are getting the right amount.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
19,039 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lira vs Sterling

We used an exchange office in Icmeler. We did not get ripped off. We did what we always do. Look at the Exchange Rate on the wall. Only change in denominations of 10's i.e. £40, £60, £100 etc., Work out the rate first. Then when we got our money, counted it back on the counter and asked for a receipt. We do this in Banks too. This way no one will rip us off and we have used Official Exchange Offices and Banks in many places in Turkey.

If anyone get ripped off by an Exchange Shop. Report it to the Police, or go to the Tourist Phone line on 170 and report it.

Edited: 09 August 2017, 22:52
Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Marmaris District, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lira vs Sterling

That's all well and good for you, Frances-Jane - but unfortunately the ones in Icmeler do have a bit of a reputation, so I feel it's only fair to warn people who may be first-time visitors to Icmeler or newcomers to Turkey a a whole. Forewarned is forearmed, after all, as they say.

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Marmaris District, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Level Contributor
366 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lira vs Sterling

Would listen to blondiescot as helped us no end last year as has been coming for years 😁 We found restaurants gave great rate x

Edited: 09 August 2017, 23:27
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lira vs Sterling

Whilst in an ideal world any rip offs should be reported to police, do you really want to spend time a a police station reporting the issue, or put it down to experiece and enjoy th ret of your holiday, and not use the place again

Best exchange rates are usually in bars and restuarants, just ask before hand what rate is and change in small denominations of say £100 knowing in advance what you should get

Campbeltown, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lira vs Sterling

Sound advice regarding the exchange offices, in my case once bitten twice shy. For the past few years I have changed sterling in bars and supermarkets and have always been given a good, un-ripped off rate.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lira vs Sterling

Always change mine in bars and supermarkets

Kent
Level Contributor
69 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lira vs Sterling

We always exchange our Sterling at Buffalo Bar

Sugar does a very good rate and trust him totally

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Lira vs Sterling

Never never change money exchange bureau total rip off I always go shop on corner just down from champagne bar great rate

Reply to: Lira vs Sterling
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations