We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The hassle

Doncaster
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Topic
The hassle

Icmiler is a lovely town.but the hassle everyday is to much and ruins a fantastic place .you end up trapped in your hotel because you know what's coming on the way round the shops .it puts you off coming back

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,093 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The hassle

Have to say I actually don't find that there is much hassle in Icmeler - there are a few notable exceptions, places which we try to avoid because of that, but in general, I find that if you are firm but polite with them, they are fine with you. It's certainly nowhere near as bad as the likes of Marmaris, for instance - and nowhere near as bad as it used to be years ago. Maybe it all depends on what some people class as "hassle" too - there's a fine line between places trying to encourage your custom (bearing in mind that they have had a few quiet seasons too) and actually harassing people. It certainly wouldn't stop me getting out and about and enjoying the resort though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The hassle

I have only been to Icmeler a few times (going soon which will be my fourth visit) but the only hassle I've had is from a certain 'barber come tattooist), other than that I've not seen it....marmaris and Gumbet were bad!!! Bodrum and Side were not bad either.

southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The hassle

We never get any hassle anymore

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The hassle

Can't say I've found it a problem although one of my favourite pastimes is to have a stroll around the bazaar in Marmaris where it can get annoying. After that no where in Icmeler seems that bad. One ploy I use is to say 'param yok' ( I'm skint / no money) which is enough to stop them for a few seconds and let you carry on your way.

Edited: 20 May 2017, 20:20
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The hassle

The hassle nowadays is almost non existent apart from a certain barber. No idea where the OP is being hassled. Most places may speak with you, ask you to look at their menu. I have found a polite no thanks is sufficient

Even the shops nowadays are happy enough let you browse

Level Contributor
540 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The hassle

Not found that they hassle you much in icmeler

Campbeltown, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The hassle

I will always remember our first visit to Icmeler and one night we stopped at a shop selling leather coats and jackets and were enticed in by an Asian man who proceeded to sweet talk us, gave us apple tea and cakes and offered us huge discounts on his prices. All too good to be true so we upped and left to his parting shot "you look just like them e***ng Turks". I have never seen that person, or his shop, since and I still take it as a compliment.

Ian, thanks for the tip should I ever need it.

fleetwood
Level Contributor
151 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The hassle

I've found that there is more hassle this year. I was buying sunglasses the other day or at least trying to, he kept on at me to buy more because he is poor so I didn't end up buying any. I've found this time that the shops from the bar ex then round passed cafe Anne's are seriously hassling folk. It won't put me off but it's definitely worse than last year.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The hassle

I think that is very OTT Paul A. You must have had some extremely bad experiences to quote what you do. I won't be going back to Turkey because of the problems they have experienced internally and externally for the last couple of years but I love Icmeler and whilst we have been "hassled" like everyone else most are just trying to drum up trade and nearly all move away with a polite no thank you etc. Be polite and walk away if you don't want to visit their restaurant or shop but please do not say maybe later because they will remember !!!! ha. As has been mentioned marmaris is much worse than Icmeler especially in the bazaar but the perceived hassle in Icmeler would certainly not see me hotel bound

Level Contributor
540 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The hassle

Here now and apart from them asking if you want a meal and we say no thanku no hassle at

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations