We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Airlines to fly to Bodrum?

edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,978 posts
209 reviews
Save Topic
Turkish Airlines to fly to Bodrum?

According to news reports, Turkish Airlines are in talks over possibly starting direct flights from the UK to Bodrum airport. They are considering starting direct flights later this year from Edinburgh, Dublin, Manchester and London, which would be great news. Turkish Airlines are by far the best airline I've flown with - and the transfer from Bodrum doesn't take all that much longer than Dalaman these days, so it may well be an option worth considering for some people if it does get the go-ahead.

Mentioned in this post
Bodrum
Bodrum
Mugla Province, Turkey
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
London
London
England, UK
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkish Airlines to fly to Bodrum?

That is very interesting. I haven't seen this yet, do you have a link you can post?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkish Airlines to fly to Bodrum?

With other airlines flight to Bodrum is usually cheaper than flying to Dalaman. Think the transfer time is only around 40 minutes extra so not much difference, especially if the flights are a good bit cheaper

Mentioned in this post
Bodrum
Bodrum
Mugla Province, Turkey
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,978 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkish Airlines to fly to Bodrum?

This is the link, LuddendenTurk, but it's in Turkish...

http://www.kenttv.net/haber.php?id=37187

Campbeltown, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkish Airlines to fly to Bodrum?

Has the road from Bodrum to Icmeler improved since the last time we travelled it 10 years ago? I remember it as being quite hairy. Also, transfers I would imagine will be more expensive?

Mentioned in this post
Bodrum
Bodrum
Mugla Province, Turkey
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,978 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkish Airlines to fly to Bodrum?

Yes, I think they have made various improvements to the road recently. I don't think it's that bad, to be honest. Transfers will be a bit more expensive, but could work out worthwhile if you are saving on the cost of the flights. We are flying into Bodrum this year, but home from Dalaman.

Mentioned in this post
Bodrum
Bodrum
Mugla Province, Turkey
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkish Airlines to fly to Bodrum?

I've long wondered why Turkish Airlines don't fly from UK direct into IZMIR Airport - basically the answer is that their "hub" is at IST, and all their engineering work has to be done there. I've heard they may set up a system at Izmir (ADB). Other airports, even Ankara, are less important in commercial terms, now that tourism is hardly a factor.

Turkish Airlines are certainly my only choice of airline for flying between Turkey and the UK.

Good food, free drinks, choice of comfortable seats with entertainment, free 20 KG baggage, no hidden extras.

[[[And usually I have the added pleasure of a couple of nights somewhere like the Grand Hotel de Londres in Beyoglu, now at about €35 a night.]]]

Mentioned in this post
Izmir
Izmir
Izmir Province, Turkey
Ankara
Ankara
Ankara Province, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
chard
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkish Airlines to fly to Bodrum?

Flew into Izmir on my first visit to Turkey 25 years ago on a teletext holiday, had the joy of a 4 hour transfer to Gumbet on a coach that you could see the road through the floor when the card board fluttered about. Todays transfers are a doddle in comparison

Mentioned in this post
Izmir
Izmir
Izmir Province, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Gumbet
Gumbet
Bodrum, Turkey
London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,880 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkish Airlines to fly to Bodrum?

I went on one of those transfers to Gumbet too back in 1991, things are so different now :)

Mentioned in this post
Gumbet
Gumbet
Bodrum, Turkey
9. Re: Turkish Airlines to fly to Bodrum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2018, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler