We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money exchange in Icmeler

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Money exchange in Icmeler

I am thinking of carrying sterling prepaid travel card rather than carrying a large amount of cash with me. Will I still get a good exchange rate and will there be plenty of places where I can use it? Or is cash the best? I was going to bring a little lira, £cash and some on travel card. Any idea of best places in Icmeler for exchange rate and charges? I will be travelling with my 2 kids.

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
rotherham
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money exchange in Icmeler

Sorry don't no about the prepaid cash card as we always take sterling cash with us and keep it in the safe at our accommodation,and its better to change your cash at the mini markets or bars there is no charge for changing cash at these places and they usually give a good rate, we always change our cash at the little shop just of the square.Change offices do charge commission,and there is quite a few cash machines in resort though.May be ask your question on the Icmeler Forum you may get more answer's about the cash card on there,here is a link to the Icmeler Forum..

Wendy

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g609…

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,979 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money exchange in Icmeler

I know the prepaid cards are becoming more popular, so you should find plenty of places which will accept them. As Wendy has said, it's best to change your sterling at the mini markets or bars as they tend to give the best rates - stay away from the change offices though, they are notorious for ripping people off. There are plenty of cash machines, some of which dispense sterling too.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money exchange in Icmeler

Thanks😊

Lanarkshire
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Money exchange in Icmeler

I take Sterling & when I need more money there are about 6 ATM,s just along from the Love Boat next to the canal.

But note: not all of them give out Sterling, the one I use is the HSBC.

I withdraw Sterling and then exchange it at the small supermarket next to ICL office across from the square.

Edited: 03 February 2017, 20:06
Mentioned in this post
The Love Boat
The Love Boat
912 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,979 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money exchange in Icmeler

Be wary of those machines at the canal though - I have heard of several people whose cards were swallowed by them, and the HSBC machine in particular. I prefer to use the machines attached to the banks instead - the IS Bank, under the Kapmar Hotel just off the square, has two machines and the one on the left normally dispenses sterling.

Mentioned in this post
Kapmar Hotel
Kapmar Hotel
610 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money exchange in Icmeler

To be on the safe side, probably best to take at least cards, in the unlikely event a machine swallows your card

Level Contributor
531 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money exchange in Icmeler

I always use a pre paid master card on top of cash we take with us you can for withdrawals or to pay in restaurants duty free etc

CHESTER
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
7,041 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money exchange in Icmeler

Ive never used a card, always afraid of it getting swallowed up in the machines, and a few people last season had their cards scammed from them. I always take cash and purchase a safety deposit box. Change sterling at the mini markets or banks, no commission, and never use the exchange offices they are known for short changing you and adding on government tax and commission, you will not get the rate they advertise outside their shops !!.

Level Contributor
531 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money exchange in Icmeler

Cards get scammed all over the world but at least with pre paid ones they can't get into a bank account I keep mine all the time for shopping in shops or online so if it ever gets scammed they can only get what I've topped it up with and because it's a MasterCard your covered like any other credit card unlike debit cards so they handy for purchasing items

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money exchange in Icmeler

I've started using the pre paid cards and I withdrew money from the left hand cash machine at the bank under the Kapmar Hotel during bank opening times. That way if the machine swallowed the card I could go into the bank. Didnt have a problem last year, only the left hand machines gives Stirling.

I've been in the bank and the staff are very helpful, customer service desk as you go in and English speaking staff.

Mentioned in this post
Kapmar Hotel
Kapmar Hotel
610 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler