We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April Visit

Bedford UK
Level Contributor
237 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
April Visit

Hi

We will finally make it to Mesa Verde in mid to late April. We are staying two nights Cortez. Have been a bit thrown by Spruce House and Cliff Palace being closed. I am not sure that the available guided tour is doable as I am concerned both about heights and the tunnel. My husband has bad knees and I'm a wimp.

What I'm not clear about is whether we'd be able to get up close to any other dwellings. Seen quite a few cliff dwellings from viewpoints to date and had hoped in Mesa Verde to achieve a more intimate experience. I wonder if any of you have any suggestions.

Thanks

Betty

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,903 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April Visit

April is definitely early. Balcony House opens for tours on April 10. Yes, Cliff Palace is not yet open for the season and Spruce House is closed do to danger from rock falls. Balcony House is an amazing experience. But you will need to descend and ascend ladders (not difficult) and go through some small spaces. If you do have fears, it may not be for you.

If you do decide to go, and I would encourage you to do so, it's a far better experience staying at Far View Lodge, which opens for the season April 14. Otherwise you're faced with a twisty turny drive up and down the switchbacks for about an hour or more from Cortez each time you go into the heart of the park. Far View puts you right in the park and is a wonderful experience.

If Mesa Verde isn't work for you because of the winter closures, nearby Hovenweep is quite nice. While the ruins aren't as impressive as Mesa Verde, you can up very close in a very easy walking tour.

Have fun.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,383 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April Visit

It isn't looking good for Spruce Tree House to reopen soon. Check on www.nps.gov/meve . Possibly they could open up Cliff Palace early, but probably not. Balcony House was ok for me with bad knees and wasn't scary except for the exit up the side of the rock cliff!

You could move your trip to Santa Fe and visit Bandelier Nat Mon, Puye Cliff Dwellings.

Bedford UK
Level Contributor
237 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April Visit

Thanks for the comments. We have chosen to stay outside the park because of he altitude of Far Lodge. We will think about Balcony House, it is the tunnel that concerns me most.

I shall find a UTube video.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,383 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April Visit

The tunnel wasn't too bad, I'm heavy and didn't get stuck,lol! It was hard on my knees to crawl through but I made it.

5. Re: April Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2017, 10:47