We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Family trip to Mesa Verde Itinerary help

dallas
Level Contributor
435 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
First Family trip to Mesa Verde Itinerary help

We will be arriving at Far View Lodge for two nights from Albuquerque late in the day of May 19th (Thursday). So that gives us ALL day Friday and we will have half a day on Saturday. I know the ticket situation can be tricky and I don't believe we will be coming through Cortez from Albuquerque.

1. My question is for people familiar with the park, do you believe it will be hard to acquire tickets this time of year on a Friday and Sat?

2.As well as the best tours to do ( I know this is subjective :)? We are a family of 5, active with 3 children ranging in ages from 20 to 10.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,784 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Family trip to Mesa Verde Itinerary help

If you don't arrive at Mesa Verde in time to get tickets for the following day, I don't think you'll have a problem that early in May. Memorial Day weekend, maybe, but not the 19th. Especially since you'll also have a half day Saturday to work with

You'll have to check the schedule to see which sites will be open for tours at that time. I'd say with children age 10 and older you would certainly want to do Balcony House.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,588 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Family trip to Mesa Verde Itinerary help

During your visit, only Balcony House will be open for tours. Possibly Spruce Tree House will be reopened for self guided tours, right now it is closed due to rock fall. Spruce Tree House is my favorite, so hopefully it will be reopened by spring. Please check for spring/summer schedule at www.nps.gov/meve Wetherill Mesa will be open for guided tours in May, no dates yet. Cliff Palace doesn't open until

Balcony house does have open ladders to climb, steps cut into sandstone and a narrow tunnel to climb through to exit. Fun for almost everyone, except those that are afraid of heights and those that are on the heavy side.

Visit the Mesa Top Ruins road stops, especially Square Tower House overlook. Also Far View Ruins are great to visit. Lots of buildings and short hikes.

dallas
Level Contributor
435 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Family trip to Mesa Verde Itinerary help

Thank you all so very much!

4. Re: First Family trip to Mesa Verde Itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2017, 10:47