We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TRip home from Mesa Verde

Langhorne, PA
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
TRip home from Mesa Verde

I have pretty much finalized a great trip to The Grand CIrcle camping with my wife and eight year old grandson. We are ending up in Mesa Verde. Faced with the prospect of high tailing it back to Langhorne (just north of Philadelphia) I wonder what really cool things might be just outside our route that our grandson might enjoy. The world is full of fun stuff and I'm sure there are many I would be missing by sticking to the interstate. Time is pretty flexible and although we are headed pretty much straght home, we don't mind a detour. Does anyone have favourite places to recommend?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,633 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TRip home from Mesa Verde

What a great trip! Creating memories and broadening horizons! Did you know there is a Road Trip forum? You might get some great ideas there. Go to the "Browse forums >all" tab, then click "see all" under the Beyond Destination Forums column.

For the Colorado part of the trip, there are several routes and lots of fun stuff.

A couple of options for starters:

From Mesa Verde to Telluride to ride the free gondola up to Mountain Village. Gorgeous!

or, ride the Durango to Silverton narrow gauge train ride (train/jeep tour combination will take you to a big ghost town, Animas Forks and one way on the train is enough.

Go to the hot springs pool in Ouray.

Take a jeep tour in Ouray or Telluride.

Telluride, Silverton, and Ouray were real "old west" mining towns.

Museum of the Mountain West in Montrose might be fun, if he likes that kind of thing--my grandkids do--and then there's the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park south rim drive with short walks to overlooks guaranteed to make you tingle, as my granddaughter says. (and there are often stargazing programs)

Float trips, fishing, horseback rides... Would he like to learn some mountaineering or rock climbing skills? Zip line? Adventure Park with alpine slide or alpine coaster? Hot springs pools, cave tours?

You could easily include a visit to either the Great Sand Dunes Natl Park or Rocky Mountain National Park,one of the best places in Colorado for chances of wildlife viewing.

Ooh, dinosaurs! Dinosaur National Monument might be a bit too far out of your way, but you could visit Dinosaur Journey in Fruita (near Grand Junction) and if it isn't too hot you could walk the Trail Through Time. Then hit Interstate 70 to Glenwood Springs to the Caverns and adventure park. Then on to Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mtn Natl Park.

Dinosaur Ridge outside Denver would also be a good stop for the dino lover.

2. Re: TRip home from Mesa Verde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2017, 11:48