We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sites open November 3?

St. George, Utah
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Sites open November 3?

We're passing through to Durango and would like to stop by on Nov 3 and see the best of Mesa Verde.

I'm aware of the Cliff Palace closure but I'd like to see Long House, Balcony House, Spruce Tree House and maybe the Petroglyph Point Hike. Are these open in November? The NPS site seems to be a little contradictory saying the sites are open till the end of October.... is access restricted after that or are services just suspended for the winter?

We are ok with the hike distances - we'll be trail running to each site in order to see as much as possible. I just want to make sure the sites will be open!

Thanks in advance.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,935 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sites open November 3?

Long House, Balcony House and Cliff Palace are for sure closed. I'm also pretty sure that Spruce Tree House is not open other than during holiday periods. If you're in the area it's still worth a visit, but you won't have access to those ruins.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,400 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sites open November 3?

Check this link to see what is open and times nps.gov/meve/…interp_program_sch_2015_v8.pdf

Spruce Tree House will be the only cliff dwelling open, but you will have to take a ranger guided tour, offered 3 times a day (see above link)

Check with the rangers when you arrive about trail openings. Sometimes during off season they are closed.

St. George, Utah
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sites open November 3?

Thanks a bunch this helped!

St. George, Utah
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sites open November 3?

Thank you! We may skip it if that many places will be closed and hit it another time :)

5. Re: Sites open November 3?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2016, 09:47