We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early October visit

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Early October visit

My husband and I will be traveling in early October with our 2 boys (ages 10 and 15) to Utah and plan to visit a Arches and Canyonlands, as well as Mesa Verde. It appears as if only Balcony House and Long House tours will be available during this time (Oct 6-12). I don't think Balcony House will be an option due to size restrictions (my husband has very broad shoulders) and I am claustrophobic. With that being said, would it be worth the trip if Long House is the only tour option? We would really love to visit Mesa Verde, but would like opinions as to whether it makes sense for potentially one tour? Would we be missing something that simply shouldn't be missed?

4 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,244 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Early October visit

Sorry, I had typed a long response a few days ago, somehow it didn't post!

Yes, there is plenty to see and do in Mesa Verde even if you don't see Balcony House. Long House is about 45 minutes from the main Chapin Mesa ruins and that tour requires I think 2 miles or so. BUT nearby is Step House also on Wetherill Mesa which is a self guided cliff dwelling.

I'd look at Wetherill Mesa in the morning then over to Chapin Mesa for afternoon. Do look at the many viewpoints on Chapin Mesa, some great photos. Also Farview Ruin is a great place to walk around and see non cliff dwellings but equally interesting mesa top ruins.

www.nps.gov/meve

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
279 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Early October visit

I wouldn’t automatically rule out Balcony House. The only area of concern re claustrophobia and your husbands broad shoulders is a very short tunnel connecting two parts of the ruin. There is a replica of this tunnel in the visitor center so when you arrive you can check it out, your husband can even crawl through it. Balcony House has higher/longer ladders than the the other cliff dwellings that are open for tours. You can probably find YouTube videos re Balcony House as well.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
279 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Early October visit

Weatherhill Mesa is a wonderful place to visit. It’s removed from the hustle and bustle of higher traffic sites in the park. Take water and a picnic lunch.......eat at the trailhead area. No snacks or food or candy of any type is permitted while in the ruins. I think you will really enjoy this part of the park.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Early October visit

Thanks so much for the info!

Reply to: Early October visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted