We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about connection time at airport

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
985 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Worried about connection time at airport

I will be flying back from Cancun on Tuesday, May 15 and need to connect to a flight to Detroit in only 2 hours. Will this be sufficient time to make the connection after immigration, etc......I hear the airport can be a nightmare and people have missed their flights due to long lines...

Edited: 18 April 2012, 22:23
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
4,911 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried about connection time at airport

2 hours should be enough. You'll probably be coming into the new international terminal, which should help.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried about connection time at airport

Steve, what about the new international terminal will streamline the process? As I see it, that will only mean s/he has to travel further to reach the gate from which her flight to Detroit will depart. Am I missing something?

fineshot2000, I think you'll probably make it, but don't dawdle. There's a description of the customs and immigration process at the following Top Question on the right: "What is the customs & immigration process when I arrive on an international flight?" I went through Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) Monday and the wait for luggage before customs was unusually long. Even though I use Global Entry, it took me 45 minutes to get from the plane through CBP and security. That ought to give you plenty of time, but just go straight to your gate and don't waste any time.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
4,911 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried about connection time at airport

I think the new terminal will streamline baggage handling and make customs run smoother since it was designed to improve those. Terminal E, though nominally built as as an international terminal, was still makeshift in some ways.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried about connection time at airport

That's good to know. I'm looking forward to the improvement.

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
985 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worried about connection time at airport

Says the new terminal doesn't open until May 16! I'll be coming thru May 15th.....ughhh! Probably a mess that day...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worried about connection time at airport

The new international terminal streamlines the process for folks arriving on international flights who have Atlanta as their final destination. For those making connections to other domestic flights, it doesn't fundamentally change the process -- as has been pointed out, they'll still need to claim their luggage, pass through CBP, and then recheck their luggage to their final destination, then make it to the gate for their connecting flight. Any gains in efficiency in the new terminal will likely be offset by the greater distance to the domestic concourses relative to Concourse E, so that's likely a wash.

Bottom line is like JAtalanta said: you should be able to make it, but you won't be able to dawdle.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worried about connection time at airport

fineshot, I just re-read your question and I'd disagree with this statement: "the airport can be a nightmare and people have missed their flights due to long lines." I fly out of ATL a lot, both domestic and international, and I find it to be one of the most efficient airports I've ever used. There are plenty of booths open at CBP, and it's hard to imagine that long lines would cause a missed flight. I think you'll find that things flow smoothly.

One hint is to go straight to CBP when you get off the plane. A lot of people hit the bathroom first, and that puts them towards the end of the line. But, again, the line is rarely bad.

8. Re: Worried about connection time at airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 06:12