We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick connection time

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
902 posts
104 reviews
Quick connection time

We are looking to go to new Orleans next year

We would be flying with delta

On our first leg we will fly Dublin to Atlanta to new Orleans we will have 2 hours is this enough.

Second leg is new Orleans to Atlanta to Cancun we have 2 hours 15 min

We have not connected in Atlanta in a number of years will this be enough time all our tickets will be delta

13 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,842 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Quick connection time

Should be OK on both legs. DUB is a pre-clearance airport so you will complete formalities prior to departure and will land at ATL as a domestic passenger. Two hours is the recommended minimum time for a domestic connection.

Note that had you not flown from a pre-clearance airport, the recommended connect time would be more like 3-4 hours on the first flight (just for future reference).

Additional details are available in the Top Questions section of the forum (visible in the right hand panel when viewing TripAdvisor on a desktop computer or tablet):

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60898…

-JimG

Decatur, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,650 posts
126 reviews
2. Re: Quick connection time

Read this, found under Top Question on the upper right of the desktop TA site: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60898…

2 hours is bare minimum. Good news is that there are multiple flights to New Orleans each day.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
902 posts
104 reviews
3. Re: Quick connection time

We are after getting a great offer for our flights

But the problem is there is Olny an hour connection we fly from new orleans to Atlanta an hour of a stop then to Cancun

There is a earlier flight but it would mean we have to be at airport at 4 am in morning which would not work as our time is so short

I think there had a later flight would we better off with that I think connection is over 2 hourd

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
902 posts
104 reviews
4. Re: Quick connection time

We are after getting a great offer for our flights

But the problem is there is Olny an hour connection we fly from new orleans to Atlanta an hour of a stop then to Cancun

There is a earlier flight but it would mean we have to be at airport at 4 am in morning which would not work as our time is so short

I think there had a later flight would we better off with that I think connection is over 2 hourd

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,842 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Quick connection time

It's your call completely, but I would want at least two hours leading into an international departure from ATL. Better to be an hour early than a minute late.

-JimG

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
694 posts
312 reviews
6. Re: Quick connection time

I concur with JimGinAtlanta and we travel generally with hand luggage only if at all possible.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
902 posts
104 reviews
7. Re: Quick connection time

thanks for all your help we have changed our time and now have just a little over 2 hours to make the connection.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
694 posts
312 reviews
8. Re: Quick connection time

A very prudent and smart decision. Enjoy your vacation !!!!!!!

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,166 posts
245 reviews
9. Re: Quick connection time

You are one of the few people on this forum who ask about connection times before they book their flights - smart traveler!

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
10. Re: Quick connection time

As noted the OP is coming from Dublin and will pre-clear US immigration. So long as the flight is on time (or even a little late) you'd have likely been fine.

That said, why worry? Worst case now you'll have a bit of time at the airport to kill over a drink or a bit of food.

Reply to: Quick connection time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Atlanta