We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Faster route through Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon around

1 post
Faster route through Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon around

I will be traveling through Atlanta on my way to Nashville and north next Saturday (10-6). Is it faster to travel I-85 through downtown or by-pass downtown? IOW, is Saturday 5 PM a time to avoid downtown Atlanta?

8 replies to this topic
Decatur, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,650 posts
126 reviews
1. Re: Faster route through Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon around

You should be fine going right through town at 5 on a Saturday afternoon, barring any construction or accidents. Use Google or Waze to keep up with the current conditions.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Faster route through Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon around

No college football games downtown and Braves have an off day for the NLDS, so should be a quiet drive. Note that if you have two or more people in the vehicle (of any age) you can use the HOV lane through town (just not the toll lanes north and south of town).

-JimG

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
129 reviews
3. Re: Faster route through Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon around

So you’re coming into the Atlanta area via I-85 North? And you’d be taking I-75 North to head to Nashville. If that’s the case, if there’s no traffic concerns it’s a little less mileage and usually a little faster to take I-285 to go up the west side (which would be actually called “285 North” upon entering, the sign noting Chattanooga as a destination) than go into town, since 85 enters on the SW side and 75 exits NW. That said, there’s been some construction on 285 that could potentially affect that (and just had lunch with friends complaining about awful 75 construction north of the perimeter that would impact you in either case). Check the live traffic conditions before coming, but if it’s “normal” conditions I’d personally take 285 unless I just wanted to see downtown.

Edited: 01 October 2018, 00:04
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,797 posts
103 reviews
4. Re: Faster route through Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon around

If you live in GA,get a free peach pass so you can use the paylanes heading north.when I came home from beach a month ago 85 was backed up for 8 miles just south of atlanta.we took the pay lanes which I think is 12 miles long.heres link to peach pass.the problem was construction on 285 backing up 85.

https://www.peachpass.com/

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
129 reviews
5. Re: Faster route through Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon around

There are no pay lanes headed north into Atlanta on I-85 - were you thinking 75?

Edited: 01 October 2018, 02:50
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,781 posts
95 reviews
6. Re: Faster route through Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon around

Even if the two options take the same amount of time, going through Atlanta is far more pleasant because the truckers have to stay on 285. I almost always go through, unless there's an accident stopping traffic.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,797 posts
103 reviews
7. Re: Faster route through Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon around

75/85 run together,but south of atlanta most of the paylanes are on 75,so my error.They are building 75 paylanes north of atlanta,but dont know if theyre open.85 east of atlanta has them as well.it also works on toll roads in Fl.Agree going thru atlanta on 75/85 connector is easiest.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,797 posts
103 reviews
8. Re: Faster route through Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon around

Info on 75 north of Atlanta

https:/…

Reply to: Faster route through Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon around
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted