We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halfway Point to stay outside Atlanta going to Columbia,Sc

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Halfway Point to stay outside Atlanta going to Columbia,Sc

Hi. Planning a trip from Smyrna,Tn to Columbia,Sc, which will be approximately 6.5 hrs. Would like to know what city or area to stop and spend the night after driving about 3hrs or so. Trying to locate a halfway point, because I’ll be traveling with my elderly father. Will be taking the I 20 east route, and would like to be outside of Atlanta when we stop over. Thank you. Sheri

9 replies to this topic
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,508 posts
125 reviews
1. Re: Halfway Point to stay outside Atlanta going to Columbia,Sc

Madison, GA, abut an hour east of Atlanta would give you options for lodging and eating and is a neat, historic, scenic town to boot. Or a little closer to Atlanta, Covington, GA, likewise. Both are over 3 hours, but 3 hours puts you right in the middle of Atlanta.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,109 posts
95 reviews
2. Re: Halfway Point to stay outside Atlanta going to Columbia,Sc

Madison GA or Covington GA.

I would choose Covington. There are two new hotels just off 20 at the Hazelbrand exit #93. A newish Hampton Inn and a brand new Holiday Inn Express. It's a really nice little town with a picturesque town square (which may look familiar because it's been in lots of movies and TV shows), good local restaurants and there's a new Chili's right next to the new hotels.

If you want to take him for a ride to see antebellum homes and pretty countryside, it's a perfect place to do so. Madison is a very pretty town but they both have gorgeous antebellum homes.

If you want more restaurant recommendations, let me know.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,109 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: Halfway Point to stay outside Atlanta going to Columbia,Sc

I just read your thread again and I'm not sure about the "halfway" point.

Do you mean halfway between Smyrna TN and Columbia or halfway between Atlanta and Columbia?

There's not a lot to choose from past Covington/ Madison. Greensboro has some options and if you wanted to splurge the Ritz Carlton Reynolds Plantation on Lake Oconee is lovely. The next option is Augusta GA but although there are a lot of hotels to choose from, there's nothing very charming about Augusta, especially near 20. I don't really stop between there and Columbia although I stay in Lexington, just outside Columbia a good deal.

Covington and/or Madison are both good options and lovely small towns as well.

The main hotel exit for Augusta is #199 and Hazelbrand is #93 = 106 miles of not much to choose from in between - other than Madison and maybe the Greensboro exit.

Edited: 20 August 2018, 00:22
atlanta
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
239 reviews
4. Re: Halfway Point to stay outside Atlanta going to Columbia,Sc

I read it as halfway between Smyrna TN and Columbia. If that is the case then I would want to take the route that avoids driving through Atlanta completely only IF Atlanta doesn’t have to be on your route.

If you wanted to avoid Atlanta traffic, you could drive I-40 through Knoxville and Asheville which per Google Maps (right now for example) would only add 15 minutes. Waynesville is a nice town and Asheville is one of my favorite places.

Just a thought if you don’t have a reason to drive through Atlanta.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,109 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: Halfway Point to stay outside Atlanta going to Columbia,Sc

isabill has a good plan.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
3,302 reviews
6. Re: Halfway Point to stay outside Atlanta going to Columbia,Sc

drive I-40 through Knoxville and Asheville

====

In our view, this is preferred to Atlanta traffic.

I-40 is scenic, with mountains; drive the posted speed limit to enjoy the views.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
7. Re: Halfway Point to stay outside Atlanta going to Columbia,Sc

Very good idea. I had thought about going this way, but wanted to avoid the winding roads around the mountain. But I do want to avoid Atlanta traffic. Will probably take Knoxville route. Thanks for the reply.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,509 posts
110 reviews
8. Re: Halfway Point to stay outside Atlanta going to Columbia,Sc

I live in a northern suburb and we prefer the I-85 to I-26 route to Columbia rather than going through town to I-20.. So I'd recommend isabill's idea also. You'll be on an interstate, so I-40 won't be that winding. It shouldn't be much different than going through Chattanooga for your original route as far as mountain driving, but it should be an easier drive.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
9. Re: Halfway Point to stay outside Atlanta going to Columbia,Sc

Thanks so much to everyone for there quick responses. I will definitely be taking the I-40 route. What a great trip advisor community.

Reply to: Halfway Point to stay outside Atlanta going to Columbia,Sc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted