We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International to domestic connection time

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
International to domestic connection time

My wife & I would be arriving from Bombay via Paris to Atlanta (AF0682) at Hartsfield Jackson Airport-I at 14:15, and have to transfer to connecting flight (AF9008) to Orlando from Airport-S taking off at 15:55. Both the flights are on single ticket, and while booking the tickets directly with AirFrance, I was told that the transfer time at Atlanta would be comfortable.

However, I am worried as

a) we will have to go through immigration at Atlanta,

b) Latest Check-in time is mentioned as 14:55 on the e-ticket (for departure time is 15:55)

c) The flight (AF9008) is operated by Delta Airlines.

Would the transfer time be comfortable? ( presuming that the flights are as per schedule)

Can we please get some tips/suggestions to minimise the possibility of missing the connection ?

In case we miss the connection, any suggestions on a backup plan?

Thanks in advance...

27 replies to this topic
Decatur, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
126 reviews
1. Re: International to domestic connection time

Before booking, you should have read this: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60898…

And this: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60898…

And this: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60898…

And this: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10…

All those are under Top Questions on the upper right of this page.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,747 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: International to domestic connection time

Just to clarify, Top Questions are only visible if you are using a desktop computer or tablet. You can't see them in the mobile app.

Also, check-in opens 24 hours before the flight and you do it on-line, so the short connection time will not affect that. You should have checked in and gotten your boarding passes for all your flights, before you departed on the first flight from Bombay.

-JimG

Edited: 04 August 2018, 18:52
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: International to domestic connection time

Thank you JimG for promptly clarifying that the "latest check-in time" (that gives only of 40 mins transfer time) is not relevant as our check-in would be at Bombay itself. That's a relief.

But, would the landing to takeoff time of 1Hr45Mins be sufficient for baggage collection, immigration, handover of baggage for connecting flight and security check prior to boarding?

How far is departure Terminal-S from the arrival Terminal-I?

What happens if the connection missed? Is it taken as no-show or we would be accommodated on some subsequent flight?

I know, it is bit late to ask all this now. The Air France person had assured me while booking, that the transfer time would be comfortable, but have got a panic attack now after reading some Q-A on Tripadvisor. :-(

Decatur, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
126 reviews
4. Re: International to domestic connection time

You will arrive and depart from gates on Concourses. You will have no need to go to any Terminal; they are landside, you will remain airside.

Go to www.atl.com and look at the maps.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 01:02
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,747 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: International to domestic connection time

"check-in would be at Bombay itself"

Thats not exactly what I said. What I said was you can check in ON-LINE up to 24 hours prior to your flights. You do this on your computer at home and print your boarding passes there. Then carry them with you through all your flights.

The only thing that should happen at Bombay is dropping off checked bags. You do not need to do a separate check-in at ATL since you should have all your boarding passes from checking in ON-LINE and printing them AT HOME.

Also did you read the info in the links that Stevedec posted? Most of your questions about immigration, terminals, etc are answered there.

-JimG

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: International to domestic connection time

Ooops ! Had not browsed the links in the reply by Stevedec, before posting the above reply.

The first two links provide docs that are pretty lucid and answer most doubts.

Just two question...

1. what is generally the peak time? we would be transiting on Thursday around 14:30.

2. The Document pointed at by the first link, gives directions while arriving from concourse E & F. Can anyone please provide direction for arrival from concourse I and departure from S?

Thanks in advance....

Decatur, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
126 reviews
7. Re: International to domestic connection time

To repeat, you will not arrive (or depart) at a Terminal. You will arrive and depart from a gate on a Concourse. Read #4.

And Thursday at 4:30 pm should not be a peak time.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 01:34
Decatur, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
126 reviews
8. Re: International to domestic connection time

There is no Concourse I or S. They are Terminals.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,747 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: International to domestic connection time

If it is an international flight then it will arrive at Concourse E or F - just follow the instructions in the above link. You can safely ignore anything about Terminals, I, or S - as a transiting passenger on a single ticket, you will not be going to any of those locations.

-JimG

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: International to domestic connection time

Thanks a lot Stevedec and JimG. Your patient responses have set my mind at ease.

Also talked to Air France cust care executive who confirmed that after web check-in, we may print the boarding passes for all the three sectors at home or may collect the same while checking-in our baggage at Bombay airport.

He also reconfirmed that the transfer time at Atlanta is more than minimum required as per their system.... and this time added on probing, that... by 15~20 mins. So, I take it that it is bit tight, and would follow tips given in the docs in the links at #1, while keeping fingers crossed and hoping for the best. :-)

Just one last help.. would you know and please inform the departure concourse for the AirFrance flights to Orlando? (AF9008, operated by Delta, in our case)

Thank you once again.

Reply to: International to domestic connection time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted