We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading Florida...Traffic Through Atlanta

Rossford, Ohio...
2 posts
2 reviews
Heading Florida...Traffic Through Atlanta

Hello Trip Friends.....

Taking the family to Florida in July. Driving from NW Ohio, down 75 through Georgia.

Atlanta is always fun to drive through. I've done it at night (wonderful), during the day (ugh!), and during morning rush (God! Help Me!).

This time, we are driving Saturday morning. We should hit Atlanta around 8am. What I'd like to know is:

1) Any construction going on with I75 (North and South) that is detoured or could cause delays?

2) Traffic congestion on Saturday mornings? Not bad? OK? Terrible?

I know I can drive the Car Pool lane. Are they marked well for 75?

Thanks in advance.

-Dave

6 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,013 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Heading Florida...Traffic Through Atlanta

Traffic should be fine going straight through town. Use INRIX or WAZE or similar to see if there's anything strange going on. I go right through town because the trucks have to use the 285 bypass.

No construction detours. Check Georgia Navigator 511 for construction updates. I haven't driven on the north end of 75 for about a month.

https://www.511ga.org/

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,650 posts
502 reviews
2. Re: Heading Florida...Traffic Through Atlanta

Heading north on I 75 toward Nashville later this month. Will post back with info.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
239 reviews
3. Re: Heading Florida...Traffic Through Atlanta

Yes the carpool lanes (called HOV) are well marked.

I agree with the others, if there are no issues thru town (per the referenced apps above), that’s the way to go at 8 am. There are construction projects on 75 near 285 on the north end of Atlanta but you should be OK that early in the AM.

If for some reason you have to end up taking 285, they are doing paving repairs, some for all the monster potholes, but those are supposed to be at night.

However, being Atlanta (to borrow from Forest Gump), “ you never know what you’re going to get”

Rossford, Ohio...
2 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Heading Florida...Traffic Through Atlanta

Thanks to all that have replied.

-Dave

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
103 reviews
5. Re: Heading Florida...Traffic Through Atlanta

Just did that down to Tifton.I use 511ga.com for alerts on traffic.there was one lane blockage. Goingbdown,but I tookv41 around it.coming back home Sat was awful.3 accidents with lane blockages between Tifton and Atlanta.generally Google maps will route you around it but not this time.took me almost 5 hours from Tifton,and its usually 3.didn't a see any construction either way,just accidents.but 511 has all construction delays in the state.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
103 reviews
6. Re: Heading Florida...Traffic Through Atlanta

Ps. I did notice a huge backup on 285 westbound just south of Atlanta on Saturday. So either take 75 southbound or 285 west to go around atlanta on the west side.and 41 parallels 75 almost to Florida,so if get into bad back up.that's alternative.you can set up alerts from 511ga for text or email,for certain days and time of day.e.g.,pick sat between 8am and 8pm,for Valdosta to atlanta,southbound.very helpful.

Reply to: Heading Florida...Traffic Through Atlanta
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Atlanta