We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with a few questions - thank you

Please help with a few questions - thank you

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2018, 17:00
Edited: 20 July 2018, 17:00
atlanta
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
246 reviews
1. Re: Please help with a few questions - thank you

Hi Critique,

The Aquarium has specials after 4pm which could be less crowded since most school kids and commuters will have headed back home.

georgiaaquarium.org/experience/visit/tickets…

When are you planning to go? Thanksgiving week has different hours.

Personally I would skip the World of Coke and maybe visit one of the following: MLK home, Civil Rights Center, Atlanta Beltline and Ponce City Market, Atlanta History Center.

Uber is a good option if you are concerned about cabs. MARTA rail will also get you to many of the sites (except the zoo which is by bus or cab/Uber).

Midtown is a good place to stay. Check TripAdvisor for reviews vs your budget.

Also look at the Top Questions on the RHS of the TA desktop/full site version.

Edited: 15 November 2017, 17:17
2. Re: Please help with a few questions - thank you

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2018, 17:00
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
103 reviews
3. Re: Please help with a few questions - thank you

I use uber often and they've been fine.sounds likely like you need a limo service.if so Carey is excellent

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,808 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Please help with a few questions - thank you

Uber is great, as is Lyft.

Use MARTA trains to go from Midtown to Downtown (and to/from the airport).

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,413 posts
103 reviews
5. Re: Please help with a few questions - thank you

I think that using a limo service as recommended above is going to be your best option. Taxis can be unreliable and are not always easy to hail on the street. You seem particularly sensitive about safety and crowds, and if you are going to enjoy your vacation I think you will have to spend a little more to avoid the risks that make you anxious.

The aquarium can be crowded and you've been given good advice above for the best times to go. At those times I see no problem bringing your camera. We always brings ours and I've never had a problem.

At the airport, your camera is not going to cause any concern. People travel with DSLRs and extra lenses all the time.

6. Re: Please help with a few questions - thank you

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 July 2018, 14:54
Fernandina Beach...
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
227 reviews
7. Re: Please help with a few questions - thank you

Critiquehonestly, not sure where you got your information that Uber does not check out their drivers. Uber does conduct a criminal background as well as motor vehicle check (https:/…6970e704-95ac-4ed3-9355-e779a86db366). Also, if a Uber driver is not safe, they will get poor ratings from their customers and will not get ride assignments. I have used Uber in Atlanta and many other U.S. cities and have had no issues - in fact the experiences have been far better than previous taxi rides. A car service is certainly more personalized but that level of personal convenience comes at a cost - especially if you are hiring them for an extended period to take you from place to place.

Recognize that you may need your telephoto lens for taking pictures outside, but you certainly won't need them inside the aquarium as most will be close-up or near shots. Do you have a camera bag for changing lenses, if so then you should be fine. Yes, the aquarium can be crowded, especially around certain exhibits, but its not like being in a NYC subway car at rush hour. Taking your camera through TSA shouldn't be any problem at all.

I disagree with Isabill on skipping the World of Coke. It is right there next to the Aquarium and we enjoy our visits there, especially tasting the different drinks from around the world. but if you aren't a Coke person, then probably not worth your while. If you are a football fan, the College Football Hall of Fame is right there as well. The other places mentioned by Isabill are great and I would add the Carter Presidential Library as well.

Enjoy your visit.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,029 posts
175 reviews
8. Re: Please help with a few questions - thank you

Just another note, check out CityPASS: https://www.citypass.com/atlanta

For the price you pay, if you just go to a few things on there (and you've already mentioned interest in several of them) you will save money as opposed to buying at each separate location. If I recall correctly, many of them have separate entrance lines for people that use CityPASS which may be shorter than general admission.

When I went to the aquarium a couple years ago, there was a line to get in and it was crowded (we went middayish) but it wasn't crowds-smashed-together inside so it probably isn't as terrible as you're imagining.

I personally enjoyed visiting the World of Coke and it _is_ right there so why not visit when you're already there? :)

I've only ever driven in/around Atlanta so I can't speak to other transit options but using Uber and MARTA sound like reasonable ones to me if you don't feel comfortable renting a car.

n s
ga
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
9. Re: Please help with a few questions - thank you

Everything here is crowded.The problem with the acquarium isnt so much crowd but how unorganized it is. With traffic, everyone here pretty much speeds. I do know my friends tend to opt more towards Uber than a taxi because it tends to be cheaper. It may be worth looking at Tellus museum as well, its north of Atlanta but my family enjoyed. Have fun!

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
246 reviews
10. Re: Please help with a few questions - thank you

FYI, With no traffic, Tellus in Cartersville, Georgia, is about 45 minutes from downtown Atlanta. With traffic or any other issue (accident, construction) it could be over an hour. You'd definitely need a car to get there.

Edited: 24 November 2017, 20:56
Get answers to your questions about Atlanta