We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage assistance at Atlanta Airport

Belfast, United...
3 posts
Baggage assistance at Atlanta Airport

Hi! I will be moving back to the states with my toddler. We arrive in Atlanta and will be renting a car. I am from Atl so I know how long it takes to get to the car rental area via the train. My question is this...I will have 3 suitcases, a carseat, pack n play, and a few carry ons. I obviously can't transport all of this myself even with one of the trolleys. Is there any type of assistance the airport can supply just to help get my things to the rental car area? If I need to ring my family to help I will, but I hope it's not necessary. Please let me know if anyone knows of any such service! Cheers!

9 replies to this topic
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,506 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: Baggage assistance at Atlanta Airport

My suggestion would be to get help from your family or other locals. Claim your bags, leave your family with them and your child, go pick up your car and come back by the terminal to load up everything curbside.

Rowe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
747 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Baggage assistance at Atlanta Airport

What airline are you flying? Most of the "majors" have an agreement with a delivery service "Bags VIP." The service picks up your items from baggage claim and delivers them to a local residence or hotel within 4 hours. At ATL, with a toddler and lots of luggage, this is what I would do. Has to be booked online a minimum of 1 hour before your outbound flight.

Do a google search for Bags VIP for more info. and to book the service. Be sure to take the pick up the carseat yourself to put in the rental car. I think a skycap can help you to the rental car train if necessary, don't forget to tip.

Belfast, United...
3 posts
3. Re: Baggage assistance at Atlanta Airport

Thanks for your reply. I will be flying Aer Lingus, but my connecting flight is operated by United. Both of these are very child friendly. Where would I ask about the skycap? Are they lingering around Baggage Claim? Sorry I have obviously never paid any attention in the airports!

ATL
Level Contributor
285 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Baggage assistance at Atlanta Airport

A skycap isn't likely to work for you. He/she won't go all the way to the rental car area with you. They may get you to the rental car train. Does this make sense?

I really would recommend you asking family/friends to meet you at luggage claim. And you grab the rental car.

However, if you are headed to their home anyway you can easily rent a car at a nonairport location. These cars are often cheaper anyway. Hertz, budget, etc all have locations away from the airport.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,506 posts
120 reviews
5. Re: Baggage assistance at Atlanta Airport

If you only need the rental car to get your home or family base, think about Uber. I believe you can look for or request a van that could carry all your stuff.

Belfast, United...
3 posts
6. Re: Baggage assistance at Atlanta Airport

Thanks for the advice! It's a company rental that has to be from the airport, but I'll just ask a family member to pick up my things and daughter and then go to the rental car area. I just wanted to avoid it since traffic getting to the airport can be a bit mad!

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
55 reviews
7. Re: Baggage assistance at Atlanta Airport

Hi,

Just an inquiry to see how you got on. My wife is travelling with our baby and I am really hoping their are some porters to help at the luggage belt for a fee. Can you let me know if this was the case at Atlanta Airport? And if so how much so she has the cash handy.

Thank you

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,668 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Baggage assistance at Atlanta Airport

Did you see the info about Bags VIP? Any porters (if they are available) will likely only be able to help from baggage claim to the curb, which is not that far. If arriving internationally, there is still the shuttle to the Car Rental Center to negotiate. One option would be to take a cab to the rental center, but there's still the problem of getting to the counter and out to the car.

If Bags VIP is an option for your destination, then it might be worth checking out:

https://www.maketraveleasier.com/bagsvip

-JimG

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,311 posts
103 reviews
9. Re: Baggage assistance at Atlanta Airport

Perhaps she should ship her bags ahead by UPS, DHL, FedEx, etc.

Reply to: Baggage assistance at Atlanta Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted