We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B suggestion in Prince William County

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
905 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
B&B suggestion in Prince William County

We are planning a wee long business trip to DC with a flight out. After our business meeting is over we'd like to drive around the area between Quantico and there to explore the small towns. We used to live in this area in the '70's and haven't been back since. Besides Manassas are there any suggestions for a great B&B that we could use as our base. As we will have just been in DC for week, we are looking for visiting the area without rushing for 4-5 days. I'd appreciate any suggestions on places to stay or visit as well. We will be spending a day at Quantico for sure, but other than that are looking for short day drives. We love exploring small towns, antique shops, local theaters, etc. Our time frame is over Labor Day weekend, so not sure what we can find as availability. Thanks for any advance help.

Mentioned in this post
Manassas
Manassas
Prince William County, VA
7 replies to this topic
Manassas, VA
Destination Expert
for Manassas
Level Contributor
563 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B suggestion in Prince William County

If you want to stay between Quantico and DC, the only B&B I know of The Stafford House. I have never stayed there, only had an event there a number of years ago. Check current reviews to see if it's still nice for overnight stays.

As for historic towns, the closest historic town with lots to do would be Fredericksburg, Virginia. I also like Frederick, Maryland, which is a bit farther in the other direction, but also a great walking area with lots to do.

Culpeper, Virginia has a few things to do, if the things on the list here on Tripadvisor appeal to you. It's not as big as Fredericksburg or Frederick but I enjoyed the museum and the distillary (just make sure the distillary is open on the holiday weekend, they have an odd schedule).

Charlottesville is an option if you want to drive that far. TONS to do there.

Those come to mind first. I will add more later as I keep thinking of all of my day trips.

Mentioned in this post
Stafford House
Stafford House
62 Reviews
Fairfax, VA
Frederick
Frederick
Maryland
Culpeper
Culpeper
Virginia
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B suggestion in Prince William County

Not a B&B but the Inn of Virginia at Woodbrige may work.

http://innsofva.com/woodbridge.aspx

It's very close to Occaquan which is a small and quaint, historic port on the border between Fairfax and Prince William Counties. Lorton Work House is nearby which is a former prison turned art studios/galleries.

Probably 20-25 minutes from Manassas or Quantico.

Mentioned in this post
Fairfax
Fairfax
Virginia
Manassas
Manassas
Manassas, VA
Destination Expert
for Manassas
Level Contributor
563 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B suggestion in Prince William County

Another day trip option for antiques is Leesburg. Some nice restaurants and nice shops in the historic district.

Mentioned in this post
Leesburg
Leesburg
Loudoun County, VA
LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
905 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B suggestion in Prince William County

Thanks all, great help.

woodbridge,va
Level Contributor
758 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B suggestion in Prince William County

I would recommend either the Richard Johnston Inn in Fredericksburg which is right in the heart of the old town district with loads of quaint shops and restaurants and lots historical areas to explore or Lavender Heights B&B which is also in Fredericksburg and seems to get nice reviews. I would not recommend the above listed Inns of Virginia as it is not an inn at all but a motel in a not so great part of town in Woodbridge, where they are actively widening and tearing up RT1 and it is a mess and traffic nightmare. If you're going to Quantico , I would definitely recommend a visit to the Marine Corp Museum in Triangle. It is beautifully done with exhibits from early to current marine history and IMO is one of the best free museums in the area. Enjoy your stay.

Mentioned in this post
Richard Johnston Inn
Richard Johnston Inn
403 Reviews
Fredericksburg, VA
Woodbridge
Woodbridge
LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
905 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B suggestion in Prince William County

Thanks for the lodging area suggestion and the reason we are going to Quantico in the first place is just to visit this new museum. Glad you feel it's worth the trip.

Manassas, Virginia
Level Contributor
45 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B suggestion in Prince William County

I second what Suzen06 said about the Inns of VA. It's a hotel in a not-so-great part of town. Friends of ours stayed at Lavender Heights B&B in Fredericksburg and were very pleased.

As for small towns, antique shops, etc.. Occoquan has shops and the town is like 300 years old. It's not very big but there are places to eat and you can walk along the water. You might want to check out Historic Fredericksburg, too. If you're interested in Civil War battlefields, there are several around the area.

The Marine Corps Museum is really nice. Plan to spend several hours. Btw, we're originally from NE. Grew up north of Lincoln. : ) Have a great trip. I'll be happy to try and answer any questions you have for the area.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Reply to: B&B suggestion in Prince William County
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;