We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manassas battlefield park to Dulles

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,725 posts
455 reviews
Manassas battlefield park to Dulles

I am currently in Reston on business. My flight home departs from Dulles at 1:00 tomorrow (Friday). I was thinking of a morning visit to tbe battlefield before heading to the airport. I'm guessing that driving from Reston to Manassas should not be too bad as I will most likely be on the road by 0700. Traffic for the drive back yo the airport is the concern. I know traffic is like the weather, no way to really predict, but what time would you suggest departing the park so that I am back at Dulles by 1100?

6 replies to this topic
Manassas, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Manassas
Level Contributor
572 posts
203 reviews
1. Re: Manassas battlefield park to Dulles

I would allocate at least an hour for the drive to be safe, but no less than 45 minutes.

If you have Waze, VZNavigator or Google Maps, I would check in with the app around 10 am to make sure nothing major has happened on that route that would require you to get on the road sooner.

You would be taking Route 28 to Dulles and that can be unpredictable and there are a lot of traffic lights the whole way until you get to the Toll Road. That is the only route from the Battlefield (unless you are on horseback ;o)

I fly out of Dulles on a regular basis and the drive at any time of the day or night can be unpredictable depending on accidents, weather, sunshine, or the phase of the moon ;o)

Friday mornings, in general, are very light traffic due to the fact that the Federal government and many businesses follow a 9/80 rule where many employees are off every other Friday (I work this schedule myself).

However, around 2 pm, things pick up as people start to leave work early.

At 11:00 am going toward Dulles on 28, you should be fine and if all the stars and moon align, you can get there in 35 minutes.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,725 posts
455 reviews
2. Re: Manassas battlefield park to Dulles

Thanks, VaBelle35. Very helpful info. I will let you know how the plan works out.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,725 posts
455 reviews
3. Re: Manassas battlefield park to Dulles

I made my little jaunt out to Manassas Battlefield Park this morning and it went without a hitch. Traffic was a non-issue and the weather was perfect. I was there were a little over 2 hours, checked out several locations in the park and still made it back to Dulles by 11:00 AM. VaBelle35's advice was right on target.

Manassas, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Manassas
Level Contributor
572 posts
203 reviews
4. Re: Manassas battlefield park to Dulles

That's great to hear. Thanks for reporting back.

Texas
Level Contributor
641 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Manassas battlefield park to Dulles

OhioHick, in reading the postings for Manassas, I saw your name....I thought, "I saw that name when I planned the Utah National Parks....!" Just to pitch in a "Thank You" for all your helpful posting during the trip we made in September. Your knowledge there was great, so I'm glad your trip to the battlefield was smooth. Reinforcing "what goes around, comes around:)"

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,725 posts
455 reviews
6. Re: Manassas battlefield park to Dulles

TxGramma, that's the great thing about the TA forums. Always great advice for planning a trip! Sometimes you are the teacher and sometimes the student. ;-)

Reply to: Manassas battlefield park to Dulles
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted