We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worth a brief stop?

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
28 reviews
worth a brief stop?

We are heading from Wolf Trap area to Shenandoah NP for a day via I-66

Looks like it goes right into the park if we take the 29 hwy- (Manassas Battlefield)

Is it worth a stop and look around? We'll be making a full day of the mountains, going in via 211 and out at 33.

Also had considered a stop at Monticello- but thought that was pushing things for time so now just considering Manassas

Too much? Worthwhile? we'd get there as visitor's center opens at 8:30

10 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
22,530 posts
293 reviews
1. Re: worth a brief stop?

Time of year you are planning on visiting?

Springfield...
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
304 reviews
2. Re: worth a brief stop?

Yes. There's a good short film and a small museum at the visitor's center, then you can drive to some of the sites within the park using the driving tour map that you'll pick up there.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: worth a brief stop?

thanks- and sorry- I'm coming next weekend with Mom (7/22 ish) and again in mid Sept with hubby. I was thinking of the Sept timeframe but you never know with Mom as well

I'm hoping to get up to Harpers Ferry for sure with Mom next weekend or the following Monday

conn
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
175 reviews
4. Re: worth a brief stop?

Its a small tight battlefield that can be seen in a couple hours. The visitor center and the walking tour are the main sites to see on a short visit

Manassas, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Manassas
Level Contributor
572 posts
203 reviews
5. Re: worth a brief stop?

The Battlefield is a series of buildings and park land. While the Visitors Center opens at 8:30, the Farm House opens at 9:00 am and the Stone House opens at 10:00 am

The film at the Visitors Center which explains all the different areas you can visit and the history is 45 minutes long.

It might be more comfortable weather-wise to visit in September if you are planning to visit the area again.

Manassas, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Manassas
Level Contributor
572 posts
203 reviews
6. Re: worth a brief stop?

re Monticello

There's a lot more to do and see in Monticello than at the Manassas Battlefield. I'm not sure you could do Monticello, Manassas or Shenandoah justice by trying to cram all 3 into one day.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: worth a brief stop?

Thanks again for the replies

We would definitely not do all 3 in one day-

My thoughts for this day plan has evolved many times so maybe I am not saying it right

initially I was thinking:

SNP + Monticello; then I didn't think we could do both justice so I decided on

SNP + Luray Caverns- then decided we have Kartchner Caverns right here which are supposed to be the most pristine in the country so will skip Luray and continue to go to ours closer to home when we feel like spelunking

So then started thinking we could do SNP + Manassas as I realized we are already driving adjacent to it on the way- and could just drive through it instead; I like the idea of the video, visitor's center and brief drive around

I think what we will do is play things by ear. I don't want to feel rushed at SNP as that is our primary destination for the day- I think much of the determining factor will be when we get moving. We're early risers, but 6am in pacific coast time is very different from your 6am eastern time...

thanks for the input- you've given me some things to thing about!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
22,530 posts
293 reviews
8. Re: worth a brief stop?

The area is so stunningly beautiful that IMHO, I suggest you take it slow, less is more.

Is Harper's Ferry still on your itinerary?

Monticello in September.....

The gardens will still be in bloom.

https:/…heritage-harvest-festival-monticello

Kesh_grammy

Edited: 15 July 2017, 21:39
Manassas, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Manassas
Level Contributor
572 posts
203 reviews
9. Re: worth a brief stop?

Harper's Ferry is my #1 place in the region.

You have beautiful views, mountains, river, the train, history, shopping and restaurants.

And up in the mountains it will be a bit cooler, so it shouldn't be too bad next weekend.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: worth a brief stop?

thanks- and yes- I agree with "less is more" when traveling, especially in beautiful, new places- and we really are interested in everything! And I've had many months to plan/research so that makes it more difficult. Not complaining.... :)

Yes- Harpers Ferry is on the July list with Mom- not for Sept. I have no idea what we are doing next week, or even if I will have a car. I have one reserved just in case, but not sure what our plans are AT ALL (this is a crazy way to travel for someone like me...). My purpose for this trip is to meet the couple that we are house sitting for in Sept, so I'm just going to show up with some ideas and see what we end up with. We can't just sit and stare at each other for 5 days! Also think Mom would love the mountains too. We have one day in DC and the rest are all up for grabs

and I can't get Monticello off the list either for Sept. I see that event is going on while we are there....looks lovely!

I've already decided we are going to come here knowing we will return. Just too much....

I'll post my TR next week

Edited: 16 July 2017, 03:22
Reply to: worth a brief stop?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted