We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do - Caves

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
299 posts
146 reviews
What to do - Caves

Hi, we are wondering home from Orange Beach AL and are leaving Nashville on our way to Fairmont W.V. We are traveling with our pet so accommodations are limited. I found a Red Roof Inn that accepts pets however I would like to know how far are we from a cave entrance and which one / where is being recommended. I know we should devote more time but this is a stop along the way that we could not pass up. Any ideas on how far we are away ( geographic reference would be helpful) from entrance to a recommend cave viewing - are their guides on site or do we follow a audio tour. Appreciate the assistance, thanks Wendy

4 replies to this topic
hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
1. Re: What to do - Caves

All tours depart from the visitor center. Tours using the Historic Entrance make the short walk to the cave, while others involve a bus ride to the entrance. There's not much of an option for a shady parking spot, but early morning might work at the east end of the parking lot. That assume the leaves are out by the time you travel.

https://goo.gl/maps/npiqT29zsHk

You could conceivably take a campsite for the day and have a spot offering decent shade. The campground is a 10 to 15 minute walk south of the visitor center.

You can check the tour schedule to see what's available for your time frame. The Historic Tour covers a fair amount f cave and lets you see some of the large passage that gives the cave its name. IIRC, you won't see passage quite as impressive on the Domes and Dripstone tour, but it's a great tour that includes one of the few parts of the cave with decorations.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,507 posts
3,416 reviews
2. Re: What to do - Caves

You are saving time for the Corvette Museum

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
299 posts
146 reviews
3. Re: What to do - Caves

Great thank you!