We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities and Food Suggestions During Spring Break

Maryland
Level Contributor
84 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Activities and Food Suggestions During Spring Break

Hubby, 12y/o son, and I will visit Richmond for one whole day before leaving the next day to Williamsburg. We are traveling from Southern, MD and expect to get there around 10:00 am. Any suggestions on absolute MUST things to do and places to eat lunch/dinner/breakfast? We are an active family and will have our bikes with us too. Thanks in advance.

Maryland
Level Contributor
84 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities and Food Suggestions During Spring Break

Anyone?

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities and Food Suggestions During Spring Break

HI! Are you up for an urban adventure? Couple of interesting things to do:

Explore the James River Park System. Richmond has the James River flowing thru it, with a terrific park with hiking and bicycling. There are companies that do rafting trips, depending on the height of the water, but if you are only there for a day that might be for another trip.

Here is a link from Friends of the James River Park System that gives info on locations. jamesriverpark.org/visit-the-park/getting-th…

Visit the pipeline walk downtown and view the only great blue heron rookery within city limits in the US! Getting to the parking area is a little tricky - Coming south on I-95, get off I-95 on the Main St exit (exit 74A) downtown, at the end of the exit IMMEDIATELY turn right on Main St, then first left on 14th st THEN take the second right on CANAL St and then your first left on VIRGINIA St. It is a very short street,, you will be in front of a condo building and go past it on the left just past the flood wall is the small parking area for the pipeline walk. Last time I was there, there was a small ladder you had to climb down (like seven steps) . Head to your right (it's the only way you can go) and there is a narrow walkway with hand rails over this pipe that goes on for some distance. When you are close to where you can view the rookery that is on an island in the river, you will see an educational poster and there is a giant blue heron painted on a concrete pillar. This is definitely something you will not see anywhere else and you can see the river up close and personal!

After that, get back in the car and head west on Canal St then go left on 5th street. You will be at the Civil War Center (nonprofit) and the Tredegar National park Service Civil War Visitor Center. You can also walk around Brown;s Island, depending on the date you come, there may be a concert or event going on. Walk a little further down the road and you can see the War Memorial up the hill, and the walkway to Belle Isle over the river.

Maryland
Level Contributor
84 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities and Food Suggestions During Spring Break

Wow Thanks! We are planning on visiting Belle Isle and trying out the bike trails. Son can try out the bicycle park. But the the pipeline walk sounds very interesting and unique so we will do this first. Do you know how much the parking cost at at the Civil War Center? Do you recommend a quick trip before heading to Belle Isle?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
43 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities and Food Suggestions During Spring Break

I don't recall a fee for parking, but I usually take an extra 15 minutes to find a free spot somewhere and walk to my destination. If you've got an extra 1-1.5 in your day before Belle Isle, it's worth a stop.

5. Re: Activities and Food Suggestions During Spring Break

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 11:46