We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mass 15th August 2009 Castel Gandolfo

Wigan
2 posts
Save Topic
Mass 15th August 2009 Castel Gandolfo

I will be staying in Rome with my family,all of whom are Catholic including my elderly parent in August, 14-17th, what are my chances of seeing Pope Benedict. Would we need tickets for the above mass?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mass 15th August 2009 Castel Gandolfo

There are no tickets for the mass. Check the information under Prefecture of the Papal Household at www.vatican.va.

Judging from photos from past years, the pope processes to the church and you can see him from behind barriers.

Wigan
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mass 15th August 2009 Castel Gandolfo

Brilliant, thank you Zerlina!

cheltenham
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mass 15th August 2009 Castel Gandolfo

hi there i am staying in castel gandolpho at the moment. All ica tell you is what i saw on sunday. everyone gathered in the main square from quite early in the morning, this is the only square in the centre so easy to find- incredible and very happy atmosphere lots of chanting and music and flag waving. before the mass some people seemed to go into the palace early not sure how these people got in- the security at the front should give you info. then just before the mass they filled the rest of the space with people left over in the square. ididnt go in as i am not religious. the mass takes place inside an inner quadrangle behind the main doors. if you dont get in you can watch the screen by the door and then at the end of the nmass the pope came out on the balcony above the door and blessed the people in the square. there are bars all around where you can sit and have drink food etc. we have been traveling into rome on the train from the terminal. the only problem is the climb to the town from the station- very steep but you may be able to get a taxi. hope this helps.

4. Re: Mass 15th August 2009 Castel Gandolfo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2010, 12:58
Get answers to your questions about Castel Gandolfo