We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August 15th Mass

Dallas Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
August 15th Mass

Hello,

We will be staying in Castel Gandolfo August 14-16 and want to attend the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary held there on the 15th. Is there anything we need to know about attending? Below are the details.

15 Saturday

Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Castel Gandolfo

Parish Church of Saint Thomas of Villanova, at 8.00

Holy Mass

Mentioned in this post
Castel Gandolfo
Castel Gandolfo
Province of Rome, Italy
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: August 15th Mass

The Prefecture of the Papal Household has this information:

Saturday 15: H. Mass, 8.00 hrs. Assumption of the BVM. Parish Church of San Tommaso da Villanova, Castel Gandolfo (contact the parish)

The church is probably small, at least compared to St. Peter's Basilica or Square, and many (most?) places will be reserved for parishioners.

This page has information about the parish:

www.vicariatusurbis.org/Ente.asp?ID=3214

Mentioned in this post
Castel Gandolfo
Castel Gandolfo
Province of Rome, Italy
St. Peter's Basilica
St. Peter's Basilica
34,789 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,891 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August 15th Mass

There would be no problem attending mass at a parish church. This is a "holy day of obligation", a day when Catholics are expected to attend mass.

I do not know if you are Catholic. You are welcome at any mass whether or not you are Catholic, but there are restrictions on taking communion if you are not Catholic. Of course you must dress modestly, long pants and a shirt for men and women or a dress below the knees and covering the shoulders for women.

Dallas Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August 15th Mass

Thanks for your replies. My fiancee and her mother are Catholic while my mother and I are Protestant though I've been attending a lot of mass so I'm aware of the restrictions and keep praying about it. So we should get ther 30+ minutes early I'm guessing.

4. Re: August 15th Mass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2010, 12:47
Get answers to your questions about Castel Gandolfo