We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting seattle in June????

california
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
3 reviews
visiting seattle in June????

We plan to drive from SFO to Vancouver with our car in midle of June. We plan to do some sight seeing at some of the best coastal area of Oregon and Seattle. This is our first trip to these areas. Please suggest what route to take and if it is doable. We are a group of 4 member, Parent and 2 older teen.

In addition, what is the weather in these areas in June. Do we need to worry about rain and humid waether. We have 9 day total for our trip.

Here is our plan

Day 1) Drive directly to Porland town and stay over night.

Day 2) Do some coastal site seeing . Since we know, we can not cover entirecostal area. Please suggest the best section for us to explore. We love nature and like beautiful scenary. And drive to Seattle area to stay over night.

Day 3 and Day 4) Explore Seattle area , visit Space needed and other suggestion (from trip advisor)

Day 5 and Day 6 Drive to Vancouver and stay there for 2 nights to visit the area. We have been in Vancouver before ( ~5 years ago). I hear from friend the drive from Seattle to Vancouver is very beautiful. But, I don't know what route to take to see the beauty of nature.

Day 7 and day 8) Driving home from Vancouver and stay at Porland area over night. Visit some more coastal area if possible.

Day 9) Driving from Portland straight to SFO.

I am open for all suggestions. I am debate whether to do all the driving from SFO. It seems a very long drive and I am worry that, we are too tired because of long driving.

Regards,

uop

Best Seller
Seattle CityPASS
375 Reviews
from US$ 89.00*
Mt. Rainier Day Trip from Seattle
292 Reviews
from US$ 134.99*
Snoqualmie Falls and Seattle Winery...
541 Reviews
from US$ 97.99*
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,287 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: visiting seattle in June????

I'm assuming you really like to drive. SFO to Portland would be almost 600 miles in one day. I think I'd rearrange your priorities cause your not going to be enjoying the scenery driving up I-5. If you could follow the coast on 101 thru the Redwoods and up the Oregon Coast it makes a whole lot more sense. Drive over to The Columbia River Gorge on I-84 near Portland. Spend some time driving up to Mt. St. Helens or Mt. Rainier. See Seattle for 2 days. If you can skip Vancouver it would add more time. Your spending an awful lot of time just driving while bypassing all the scenery that makes this area gorgeous. The drive to Vancovuer is not especially interesting. The train ride is as it follows the water but the hiway is pretty non exciting. I'm suggesting you rethink this a bit imho.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,627 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: visiting seattle in June????

Driving all the way from San Francisco to Vancouver and back to SF in 9 days is a LOT of driving!!! Even if you did it right along the freeway, straight north/south. Then trying to get over to the coastal areas in several places, adds even more miles. I'm not sure the plan as you have it sketched out is really feasible, or would be enjoyable with hours & hours of driving basically every day. -suze

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,627 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: visiting seattle in June????

Oops, forgot to add about the weather. It won't be humid. It could be really nice sunny warm and clear, or we could have some rain in June. You just never know about our Seattle weather!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,722 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: visiting seattle in June????

Humid is a relative term of course, but having lived in the deep south, midwest and eastcoast I find the weather here not anyway near as humid as other places as far as comfort leval. Having said that, the other posters are right in terms of weather. I was on the central Oregon Coast last fourth of July and thought the weather was wonderful as it was sunny. I hear people not familiar complaing about the cool breeze. If any place in the NW is going to be clouded in and raining the best chance is the coast. It can be socked in here Only on the Beach and then clear a half a mile inland. That being said I love the central Oregon Coast between Newport and Florence and the drive from Eugene to the coast is an easy drive. You are talking about a lot of driving overall plus the uncertainty of our June weather, but that is another option for a beautiful section of coastline.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: visiting seattle in June????

If you are really going to drive to Portland on day 1, then to the ocean on day 2 ending in Seattle, you won't have time to see Portland. So I say skip it!

On Day Zero, go to bed with the chickens so on Day 1, you can be up and out as early as possible. You have a long day ahead of you!

I'd take I-5 to 138/38 and head over to the coast on Day 1. You will need to find a hotel that will take a one night reservation in a coastal town somewhere between Reedsport and Astoria, hopefully in Newport or somewhere not too far north.

On Day 2, stop and smell the roses (meaning: walk on the beach, explore some tide pools, etc) as you continue north on the coast. If you are comfortable driving in the dark, watch the sun set over the Pacific at Fort Stephens near Astoria, then head to Seattle via Longview. You won't get to Seattle until midnight in that case.

Day 3, sleep in then explore Seattle.

Day 5 , 6 and 7 Drive to Vancouver via the Chuckanut Drive between Edison/Bow and Fairhaven. It really is scenic. On Day 7, up and out and drive all the way to Portland.

Day 8 Explore Portland. Don't go to the coast -- you did it right on the way up.

Day 9 Massive road trip to SFO -- you can do it after your relaxing day on day 8.

california
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: visiting seattle in June????

Thanks for your valuable inputs. I will let DH redone our plan since he is the one who will do all the driving.

7. Re: visiting seattle in June????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2010, 09:47