We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring proof of vaccination

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,555 posts
20 reviews
59 helpful votes
Bring proof of vaccination
Save

I hesitated to post this because I do not want to make it an argument for, against, or political. But I think it has reached a tipping point, and should be pointed out for people traveling here to be prepared. Please do not add any personal opinions about this practice. It is what it is.

A LOT of restaurants and shops are now requiring proof of vaccination to enter. If you travel to Seattle from outside the area, please be prepared to show it. And if you do not have it, please do not take it out on the people who are doing their jobs by asking for it.

Stay healthy everyone.

18 replies to this topic
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
15,571 posts
21 reviews
17 helpful votes
1. Re: Bring proof of vaccination
Save

That's a useful reminder, Tatterdema. The Seattle Times publishes a list of restaurants and bars that require proof of vaccination, and it's growing. Virtually all of the trendy cocktail bars now require proof, and quite a number of the better restaurants do, too.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,555 posts
20 reviews
59 helpful votes
2. Re: Bring proof of vaccination
Save

I just got home from shopping and lunch in Ballard. 2 of the businesses I went into required it. Fortunately I have shrunk down and laminated my card so that I can carry it in my wallet. I normally would not carry the card with me locally, but it is becoming more and more necessary. I have heard Samsung has an app you can download a copy of it to also. The restaurant I went to physically took the card, turned it over, examined it. I thought just waving it would do, but they are taking it seriously. If as expected the FDA gives it full approval next week I expect the list to grow quickly.

No one is going to go hungry if they do come without one, and there are plenty of things to do without being vaccinated, just wanted people to have a heads up that it is becoming more and more common.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Seattle
Level Contributor
69,119 posts
23 reviews
78 helpful votes
3. Re: Bring proof of vaccination
Save

I appreciate the heads up! Thank you. I tucked my vaccination card into my passport when I first received it (haha, wishful thinking) but sounds like I should put it in my at-home wallet instead. Again thanks, suze

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,885 posts
37 reviews
39 helpful votes
4. Re: Bring proof of vaccination
Save

Good information, tatterdema! I am sure many travelers will be grateful for the heads-up :)

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
91,216 posts
196 reviews
164 helpful votes
5. Re: Bring proof of vaccination
Save

>>Fortunately I have shrunk down and laminated my card so that I can carry it in my wallet. .... The restaurant I went to physically took the card, turned it over, examined it.<<

I think that the staff member was interested in the new sized card as everyone knows the size of the actual card. Shrinking it down & laminating the card makes sense, but I wonder if any businesses will want to see the original. Or maybe they'd be satisfied with an image on a phone.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
91 reviews
57 helpful votes
6. Re: Bring proof of vaccination
Save

I guess to be safe I’ll just bring my actual card. Even though I have front & back photos on the phone, those might not be acceptable.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
477 posts
156 reviews
100 helpful votes
7. Re: Bring proof of vaccination
Save

The two times I've been asked for it here in Seattle, the front and back photo of the card I have on my phone has been sufficient.

New York City, New...
6 posts
8. Re: Bring proof of vaccination
Save

Do photos of the card work at restaurants? We are traveling to Seattle in September and I would prefer not to bring my physical card. I live in NY and the state developed an app that pulls up your vaccine record, which restaurants readily accept and is very convenient. I am assuming this will not work in Seattle since it is not a national app, but does anyone know if there is anything similar?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,555 posts
20 reviews
59 helpful votes
9. Re: Bring proof of vaccination
Save

@ Suze, that is exactly where my original card is, but I had a feeling I would need to carry it with me at some point, and do not want to lose or mangle the original.

@PacificNWfamily, good point. That probably is exactly why she looked at it so close. It really does not look that much different than the original. I was surprised when they did it at Staples that it closely resembles the original.

Not planning international travel until January, but hoping to have some clarity by then what will be accepted and what will not. Going to a concert in Vegas at the end of next month, and they have said they will require it, but no clarity on what form(s) they will accept.

@Nadia--the only time I have had to use it in a restaurant was yesterday, and they accepted the laminated copy, but I do not eat out that often these days, so no idea what is accepted and what is not. I would probably just bring it on my phone, or a laminated copy like I have. I do not think it is realistic to have people carrying around that original and risk losing it, spilling a drink on it, etc.

Edited: 23 August 2021, 20:58
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Seattle
Level Contributor
69,119 posts
23 reviews
78 helpful votes
10. Re: Bring proof of vaccination
Save

Not specific to Seattle, but an image on your phone has been being accepted everywhere (even thru airports, etc.). I don't want to give bad information but that's what I have been reading here on TA recently (this was in Mexico and Hawaii forums).

Here in Seattle the one time I had to show mine was for my fitness studio, and they accepted a photo via email.

suze

Edited: 23 August 2021, 22:31
Reply to: Bring proof of vaccination
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.