We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Visit to Seattle

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
First Visit to Seattle

Hi All,

My wife and I will visit Seattle for the first time in early November for 4 days/3 nights.

1. We'd like to stay somewhere where we don't have to use our car. Should we stay near the Pike Place Market?

2. Is a day trip to Vancouver via rail worth it?

Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,388 posts
1 review
1. Re: First Visit to Seattle

1. Just stay anywhere in the downtown core. I like staying either very close to pike place market or Westlake station (transit). Are you driving in with your car? Because you’ll need a hotel with parking and that will probably be expensive.

2. No, skip the day trip to Vancouver.

Edited: 14 October 2018, 23:51
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: First Visit to Seattle

We would rent a car, but we are debating even doing that if we stay somewhere with good walking or public transit. Of course, we can use Uber.

We plan on visiting the Pike's Place Market, Space Needle, and the Chihuly exhibit. We are all ears to any other musts or eats. Thanks!

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,388 posts
1 review
3. Re: First Visit to Seattle

None of your list requires a car (or even uber). Where else did you want to go?

There’s an upcoming exhibit at Seattle art museum that looks amazing. And I also like The museum of pop culture (formerly emp/scifi if I’ve got the new name wrong)

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: First Visit to Seattle

Thank you for the recommendations! There is no where else on our list yet. We are all ears for must do places.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,950 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: First Visit to Seattle

Marie has summed it up nicely; stay downtown. You can easily walk to all the places on your list, and both Lyft and Uber work beautifully in Seattle. As for must-sees, do get to the Ballard Locks to see both the locks and the salmon underwater viewing windows. It's so much fun and so Seattle. Afterwards, walk back toward Ballard Center, and visit some side streets to explore one of Seattle's most interesting neighborhoods. You might also want to walk along the waterfront to the Myrtle Edwards Park area if the weather is nice. The area around the Museum of History and Industry is beautiful and interesting - the wooden boats center is there, among other things - and if you have any interest in the history of Seattle, there's a great exhibit with film on the museum's second floor.

Seattle is a fabulous food town. If you are interested in food or in cocktail culture, this is Nirvana (sorry, couldn't help myself).

Palm Springs...
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,465 posts
112 reviews
6. Re: First Visit to Seattle

Here is a one day itinerary without a car. It breaks down the things to do around the Mkt, space needle waterfront and pioneer square. You can easily add a lot to each area to fill in the time

https:/…One.Day.Itinerary.Without.A.Car.html

while its not updated the info is still good except for the info on the 99 bus line which is no more.

Seattle
Level Contributor
52,547 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: First Visit to Seattle

Vancouver does not really work as a day trip by train. If you research the schedules you'll see what we mean. Even in your own car it is a lot of driving for a short time to visit the city and come back that same day. Unless you give it at least 1-night I wouldn't do it.

Yes stay in downtown. My best hotel recommendations are: Mayflower Park, Warwick, Hotel Andra, Alexis, or Olive 8.

It's easy to get around the central areas between using: LightRail, streetcar lines, the Monorail, Metro buses, uber/lyft, taxis, shuttles, or on foot.

Edited: 15 October 2018, 03:10
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,388 posts
1 review
8. Re: First Visit to Seattle

I’d say riding a ferry is a “must”.

If you were going to rent a car, and go somewhere, I’d drive to anacortes and ride the ferry to Friday harbor. Or go to whidbey, la Conner, deception pass state park.

I agree with Suze on Vancouver. Train wise, you almost spend more time on the train than on the ground. And car wise, google maps is rarely accurate because you’re looking at terrible traffic in both origin and destination.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
440 reviews
9. Re: First Visit to Seattle

As a Vancouver resident, I don't recommend making a day visit to Vancouver especially using rail. Your time would be better spent enjoying more of Seattle.

10. Re: First Visit to Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2018, 07:00

Reply to: First Visit to Seattle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted