We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skagway/Haines bear watching in July 2013

Cupertino...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
Skagway/Haines bear watching in July 2013

We will be in Skagway, Alaska on July 19, 2013

Our cruise ship will be docking there from 7AM to 8PM

I looked at a website that brown bears are a sure-sight at that time of the year in Haines

near Chilkoot lake/river.

Is that a fact? Any particular time of the day gives us better chances of viewing them?

If so, what are the options of going there ?

Any advise will be highly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Skagway
Skagway
Alaska
Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skagway/Haines bear watching in July 2013

Our Ketchikan and Haines experts just spoke about bear viewing in the Southeast in this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g31030-i1423-k6118…

Mentioned in this post
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,150 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skagway/Haines bear watching in July 2013

Yes, there is a good chance that the brown bears will be fishing out at Chilkoot, whether you are there at the particular time they are feeding is the luck of the matter.......

If you are interested you would need to take the fast ferry to Haines, pick up a pre-reserved rental car

www.hainesskagwayfastferry.com/schedule.html

http://haines.ak.us/car-rentals-taxis

.......and drive out to Chilkoot several times..... lots of other scenery, hiking,museums etc to keep you busy in between times.....

Or you could arrange a private tour through

http://joeordonez.com/tours/bear-viewing/ or

http://www.bobadkinsphotography.com/tours He also works with Rainbow Glacier tours, but specializes in photography tours.....

Cupertino...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Skagway/Haines bear watching in July 2013

Thanks so much. I will look into the websites further.

Any insight on "eco orca tours" ? They also have a chilkoot lake bear watching tour which is a 2.5 hour tour for $83

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,150 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skagway/Haines bear watching in July 2013

Just checked the Eco Orca website and.........

The $83 price is from Haines......If you will be coming from Skagway the price will be $190 per person......

alaskafloattrips.com/chilkoot-lake-nature-to…

Mentioned in this post
Skagway
Skagway
Alaska
Cupertino...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Skagway/Haines bear watching in July 2013

Thanks mombear for looking into this. That helps a lot.

We are a family of 6 and $190 per person is very expensive and we might end up not finding any bears at all.

I think we have to drop this option.

Munich
Level Contributor
8,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skagway/Haines bear watching in July 2013

Hi cmsusa,

sorry to say, but I think it is to early in the year. Maybe there are one or two bears at Chilkoot river. But I learnt that the bears are there in August and September.

Cupertino...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Skagway/Haines bear watching in July 2013

Since we will be going to Denali after our cruise ends, we will try our luck there.

Thanks everybody.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,150 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skagway/Haines bear watching in July 2013

Re: "But I learnt that the bears are there in August and September."

Just to clarify, the bears are there year round.......if you want to see them feeding on salmon in the river, the salmon start running mid July until late September........

Like I said earlier, no guarantees what time of day they will be feeding.....It is not a zoo. it is reality.....

I know that the slick brochures that the cruise ship provides to you show all sunny weather and wildlife everywhere, but the animals do not just prance around near the ship, to get to where they are (and might be seen) you need to actually pay for bus, plane or boat trips to get there......that is the reality.......you just need to decide if that is worth it to you or not.........

Edited: 16 May 2013, 20:22
9. Re: Skagway/Haines bear watching in July 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 10:48