We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full Day Fishing Charter Question

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
157 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Full Day Fishing Charter Question

We're trying to begin planning our June 2012 vacation. Our cruise ship arrives in Seward on 6/24 at 6:00 am. I've learned that we can choose "self-debarkation" and then possibly be able to get off the ship between 6:30 - 7:00 am.

My husband has his heart set on a full day fishing trip - combo - halibut/salmon.

Any suggestions on a reputable fishing charter company that he would be able to get off the ship and get to their location in time for a full day combo fishing trip?

Also -- is it feasible for halibut & samon on that date -- or is the season for salmon usually later (july or so). I seem to be reading different information on the different charter fishing guide websites.

And I ask for a reputable charter recommendation -- because I've also been told that it will be difficult to find a place that will accept a booking for 1 person -- or that they will accept the booking but then if they get a group of 4-6 they will take that group and leave the individual high and dry.

Thanks for your recommendations and insights.

daybreak

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full Day Fishing Charter Question

Did you try doing a search in the Seward forum? I know this question has been asked before so there should be quite a history.

In the empty box next to SEARCH IN, type "charter" and that will pull up old threads about charters, including recommendations.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Full Day Fishing Charter Question

That's a pretty tough question, honestly. Even reputable places can get in a bind and end up with not enough people to go out. They book many charters thinking they will get enough in the long run, but at the beginning and end of the season, they can end up with not enough people on the boat. Then, other outfits are assuming they can get one or two from others, when they are all trying to do that. Sometimes it'll work out for you, sometimes it won't.

This happened to me in Homer this past weekend with a reputable company. I had six people, so they found a different boat for me, but it cost us a good bit more money and the last minute changes put a bad taste in my mouth. Especially since it cost me $80 more per person and was with an outfit I didn't know. It worked out, but I'm still not happy with the original company telling me it'd be fine when I booked this in April, then assuring me again a month ago and another time in between.

We also heard from our Captain that two guys had been booked on a six pack boat for the same day we had (different boat). There weren't enough to go out on that boat, so they tried to shift them to a smaller boat. Those guys didn't want that boat, so they got their money back, but were left in their hotel, angry. Again, reputable company, but it seems like there aren't always guarantees. I'd try to find a boat that they know already has 5 people on it when he books the charter and then hope that those five people don't cancel. If they do, he could still luck out and get on another boat- and frankly, only being one person could mean he has an easier time getting on one, but I'd have a tough time believing anyone who gave me 'guarantees' after my recent experience.

Wylie.Texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full Day Fishing Charter Question

Try the Fish House in seward they book lots of trips. Might be alittle early for a combo trip so i think halibut only . Cracker Jack charters is good and I have took Millers without a problem.

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full Day Fishing Charter Question

June is too early for combo charters in Seward. Saltwater Safari is an excellent company that runs combo charters and a big enough ship that one isn't going to make a difference. They work hard for their fish and try and make sure everybody gets their limit. That can mean smaller halibut but they are a good very reputable company and you will be on a big enough boat that seas usually won't stop you from getting to the halibut.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Full Day Fishing Charter Question

You can be off that boat as soon as it docks if you keep your luggage with you the night before and you tell them "I have to be off"... many times I've seen 4-5am. The charter boats depart from the small boat harbor, about 6 blocks away.., less than 5 minutes with a taxi $5

June overall isn't very good for salmon by boat... though there are kings and reds, most charters don't target them. Time permitting... after everyone gets their 2 halibut.. they will go for other species such as rockfish.

www.alaskasaltwaterlodge.com is my favorite charter boat. If he's military there is the Seward Resort that offers discounts. The Fish House is the major booking agent for a good percent of the boats. I'm sure they would have no problem finding a single spot.

If your going to be around for a few days then I suggest renting a pole and go snag some reds from shore to get his salmon fix. Let me know if you want more info on that.

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
157 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Full Day Fishing Charter Question

Glacier lady,

Yes -- I would like more info on where to rent poles and fish from shore. I might even do that with him! At that time of year -- would it be possible to snag some salmons from the shore? And -- where do you go on the shore for this?

Also -- what makes Alaska Saltwater Lodge your favorite?

Thanks!

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Full Day Fishing Charter Question

I dunno, glacierlady, I would have agreed about AK Saltwater Lodge earlier, but not after last weekend. We didn't get Stan for our captain as we'd hoped, and the whole boat ended up with one salmon and two chicken halibut (and a bunch of rockfish and a cod). I just figured it just wasn't a good day for fishing in Seward until I talked to my buddy who went out with TJ from the military resort and their 12 person boat limited out on both halibut and silvers and at least one of the ones he got was a 45 lb-er.

Don't know if the fishing holes our captain knew about just didn't pan out or what, but I won't be going with Saltwater Lodge again. Being assured we'd get Stan and then getting switched at the last minute didn't make me super happy. I know that kind of thing happens, but it's also the sort of thing to make me look elsewhere.

Edited: 12 August 2011, 00:07
8. Re: Full Day Fishing Charter Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 01:47