We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shore fishing versus charter

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
96 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Shore fishing versus charter

I'm contemplating doing a shore fishing excursion with Millers Landing since I have a 2 for 1 coupon via Northern Lights. They also have a 1/2 Salmon charter.

Anyone have experience in either of these?

Me and the gal want to do some fishing but not sure which option would be best. Shore fishing doesnt seem that spectacular from what I can tell.

Mentioned in this post
Miller's Landing
Miller's Landing
278 Reviews
Seward, AK
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shore fishing versus charter

When are you coming and what would you like to catch?

Silver Salmon return August-Sept. I've done some great shore fishing on my own. You can rent equipment from Millers or buy in Seward from the Fish House, Safeway or many places in Anc if your going through there.

My favorite for catching and eating is halibut which does require a boat charter.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Wylie.Texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shore fishing versus charter

Hi

Unless you are there when the silvers are in [Aug] i would go for the boat fishing. I have done Miller's trip for halibut and silver's and it was a good time.Millers also rents skiff that you can take out to fish.There is lot of fishing in Seward just depends on the time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shore fishing versus charter

Take the boat.

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
96 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shore fishing versus charter

Thanks for the responses.

I'll be in Seward Aug 6-8.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
seward
Level Contributor
751 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shore fishing versus charter

As a long time fishing person.... As a former Sports Fishing Guide..... At that time of the year...... Da Boat. If you were here in late May or early June I would say check out the Red Salmon on the Res. River. Also at the time you ;are coming I would NOT book a 1/2 day unless you just want to catch a few fish to eat. Since you mentioned Millers I would book an all day trip. Then I would take my Butt, (Halibut) Ling Cod, Salmon, Black Bass, other fish, freeze them to take home in my coolers that had held my clothes. All winter long you can have a taste of Alaska anytime you want!!!! Good luck! BoatAk

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
6. Re: Shore fishing versus charter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 02:49