We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta ray night snorkel

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Manta ray night snorkel

Can anyone recommend a good outfitter for a night snorkel with Mantas? I've heard it's an amazing experience and want to take my family, but would like to know which companies do the best job. We're not divers, but comfortable with snorkeling. We're staying in Kona near Kahaluu beach. Thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Manta ray night snorkel

I took the Hula Kai which anchors right in front of the Sheraton. What a show! We had 6-7 Mantas. Although from what I hear 1-2 is more typical. There are a couple of companies that head out to the old airport location because it has been more consistent recently.

I chose the Hula Kai because after booking the Manta snorkel I got 50% off their AM snorkel tour which seemed like a deal to me!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Manta ray night snorkel

Thanks for your suggestion! Did you like the leader -- did they make you feel comfortable snorkeling at night? Also, how many people were in your group? And if you don't mind my asking, do you remember what they charged?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Manta ray night snorkel

Sure they were knowledgeable. To me night snorkeling is no big deal as I've done it quite a few times. I'm a pretty avid snorkeler and very comfortable in the water so I'm probably not a good specimen to analyze. I did watch people who have never snorkeled before and they did ok. You aren't swimming around but holding on to a raft made of pvc and foam noodles.

I got kinda "bored" just hanging on to the raft and swam around and watch the show from a distance and it was spectacular. Don't get me wrong being on the raft was incredible and seeing them swim within inches of your face is just awesome but there was truly something majestic watching from a distance.

We had 4 people in our group and we paid around $100/each (I think it was something like 101 and some change).

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Manta ray night snorkel

Great information, thanks! We have a range of experience within the family, so I think this might work for everyone, which is great. Appreciate your input.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
5. Re: Manta ray night snorkel

Call around before you come to see what location has been more consistent and then choose a boat that goes there. Usually the airport location is best and only a couple of boats go to the "old" Sheraton location, but you can get reports from the companies themselves as to what's been happening. I like Jack's, big boat, they pioneered the research with the Kona mantas, good rental gear, full service shop and operation.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: Manta ray night snorkel

I took my almost 20 year-old daughter and a friend of hers who had never before snorkeled on one of Jack's Diving Locker Manta Ray Night Snorkel tours a couple weeks ago. It helped, of course, that we saw 9 or 10 manta rays, but they both loved it. As did I. We were at the airport location with another 8-10 snorkel and/or dive boats, which leads to my one niggly; it got a bit crowded in the water. As Shea said, Jack's supplies very good gear, including wet suits, which I noticed are not supplied by all other operators.

7. Re: Manta ray night snorkel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 10:10
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona
Recent Conversations