We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Delmar, Maryland
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Is it worth it to do the night snorkel or scuba diving to see the Manta Rays? Who do you recommend to go with or not go with? Cost? Any coupons available?

99 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
91. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

I am looking to book with Big Island divers, Neptune Charlie's or Kona ocean adventures for manta snorkelling. After much reading of reviews I cannot decide which one to book with. The only advantage is that 2 of these companies will give you a chance to rebook if you don't happen to seeing any rays. But that is only if they have room.

We are going to be staying up at Fairview villas from April 8-15 and then going to Maui. I have been looking at lot of maps of this island but still trying to figure out driving distance to these companies.

I was reading as well to book on or near a new moon. I understand there is one April 7. So should I try and book close to that date. Most of the time when we travel I prebook every thing but nerves about doing this just incase of rough seas. Should I just wait until we arrive or wait to book closer to the date until closer to the date. We leave Canada April 1. Thanks in advance.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,688 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
92. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

I would not use any of those operations. Consider going with Blue Wilderness who leaves out of the Kohala Coast and offers a single boat, much less chaotic experience at a site no one else goes to instead of being in the water with hundreds of people and dozens of boats. They also offer to let you go out again for free if no mantas. If you want to go to one of the Kona sites, consider Kona Honu or Kona Diving Co.

There is some argument whether the moon phases really make that much difference.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
93. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

divebluewilderness.com/index.php…

1-Tank Manta Dive

Monday, Thursday, and Saturday at 7:00 PM

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
39 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
94. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

SheaG, thanks for recommending Blue Wilderness. It was everything you described and an unforgettable experience. Thanks too for your advice about Mauna Lani Point, where we stayed last week, a lovely place.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
95. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

We had planned to do the Manta Ray dive with a Kona Company, but their website reported no shows and the site up North with Blue wilderness was at least having one or two mantas show. So we canceled our kona dive and drove the 10 minutes from our condo to the Puako boat ramp. We were very lucky that day, we saw 3 mantas. Most of the evening we only had two and that was actually better. With only the two mantas, they came really really close to your light. The 7 of us all got in a circle around a big light in the middle. We all had flash lights, so the mantas came so close they actually bumped you unless you backed up when they came for the plankton at your light. Also, the Blue wilderness site is in 15 feet of water versus 30 feet at the southern site, so with 6 snorkelers above us and only 15 feet of water, we had a true Manta experience. When we had 3 mantas, they did not come as close. It was by far the best day of our vacation.

Visited September 2016

Denver
Level Contributor
40 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
96. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Hi. We are about to book Blue Wilderness for the Manta snorkel. Can someone confirm the $105 snorkel ride along includes wet suits? there is another spot for gear rental and just wanted to be sure. We will arrive late evening March 15. For our time there, it looks like the 16th is our best option and the 18th our backup. Really debating companies and locations, but we'll be staying at Mauna Lani and think this is probably our best bet. We will be 2 adults, 12 and 14 yr old boys.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,688 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
97. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Yes, I think you've made a good choice. Our price included wetsuits, but I don't remember exactly what we paid. I would just call or email them and ask them.

1 post
Save Reply
98. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Best manta rays night dive ever with Jack's diving locker, great people, great boat, great Service! Lance, dive master, 400+ dives

Hawaii
Level Contributor
102 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
99. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Yes. Just Yes. Went with my husband and daughter and I can not even describe the feeling that you get when you are among these graceful giants! It was truly a bucket list item that I had not even thought of.

Reply to: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona