We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Delmar, Maryland
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Is it worth it to do the night snorkel or scuba diving to see the Manta Rays? Who do you recommend to go with or not go with? Cost? Any coupons available?

99 replies to this topic
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
71. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Went with Hula Kai tonight and enjoyed it! Was a little annoyed that we had to use flotation devices as my spouse and are strong swimmers and know how to snorkel. Once on the water I understood why, so many others had no control of there arms and legs even with the noodles and a floating rack. I stayed out after everyone went in and Lefty swam right up to me and bumped my chest. Earlier Big Bertha did a barrel roll inches from my face. Very cool but I would dive it next time as there were too many stupid people that couldn't follow instruction. Price was a bit high(99$) considering the short distance and minimal fuel used. I bought video because of my lack of skill using a camera in pitch black. I recommend it once, don't be stupid though - listen to the instructions!!!!

Edited: 28 September 2013, 14:26
london
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

We went end of August with Sea Hawaii Rafting (see my separate review). Can't praise Kris Henry and Super Dave highly enough. We were the last boat to get in the water so we didn't get cold while waiting for the action to start and the last boat to leave so we avoided the bumping into other people that some have described on this forum. We enjoyed ourselves so much we booked another trip with Kris before we left. Being a small boat we felt really in touch and really really safe in their hands. Don't miss this. It's high on my list of best things I've ever done (and I'm lucky enough to have done some good ones!)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Doesn't look like this forum has been updated in a while so I hope someone sees this & responds.

I'm a diver, my boyfriend is not.

Is it worth just snorkeling with him or should we split up & I go diving?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,844 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Plenty of activity on the forum! :-) Most of it is up one level to the general Island of Hawaii forum rather than on the subforums.

I've done both the snorkel and the dive several times. Personally I enjoy the snorkel as much if not more. The mantas get very close to both snorkelers and divers. It does feel less chaotic on the bottom than on the surface, and I also am more comfortable diving as far as sea sickness goes. But I like relaxing and looking down and not having to deal with scuba equipment and craning my neck up. Also I think you'd enjoy doing it with your person, it's a very special experience.

london
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

I've only done the snorkel so I can't really comment on the dive but the snorkel was so brilliant because as you float flat in the water the mantas swam directly under and in front of you and are so close it's amazing. For what my opinion is worth I would think it would be more enjoyable to experience this wonderful sight together.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1 post
81 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

One of the most amazing experiences that we've ever had! Must do it!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
77. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Hello, We're going to be there for about 8 days during a time frame with no full moon in sight. Do you think it is worth the risk of booking it? I'm wondering what the odds are of mantas showing up on a dim night? Or is the show just not as good i.e., it is harder to see the mantas around you due to the dimmer conditions?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
78. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

oh thank you that is perfect for our trip as there will be a new moon! Thanks again!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,844 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Conventional wisdom is actually that the mantas show up MORE often when there is less moonlight as then they have more use for the dive lights which light up the plankton. They've been tracking manta numbers by the lunar cycles and there is some support for this, albeit thin. But by no means should you avoid booking around a new moon, it's the opposite.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
80. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Thank you, SheaG for the fast response!

Reply to: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted