We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Delmar, Maryland
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Is it worth it to do the night snorkel or scuba diving to see the Manta Rays? Who do you recommend to go with or not go with? Cost? Any coupons available?

99 replies to this topic
NJ
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Tom,

Being a Cayman expert, I am hoping you can compare it to Sting Ray City. Someone made comparisons early on what they thought the difference may be. We loved SRC, but I am not all that interested in a repeat of activities on limited time. To do or not to do, so little time:)

Thanks,

Tammy

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

There is no comparison between Stingray City and the manta ray snorkel. They're not even the same animals. Giant Manta rays have wingspans of up to 30 feet and weigh as much as 3000 lbs. You are not feeding the mantas as they do the stingrays, nor standing in shallow water, you're floating or diving in about 30-40 feet of water while you watch the mantas dance around you, scooping up the plankton illuminated by the lights. You can check out YouTube videos to get an idea.

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
2 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

I have done both the sting rays and manta rays and recommend both--but there is truly nothing like the manta ray night experience. I dove and my partner snorkeled this event earlier this month with Kona Diving Company and it was amazing. We had 5 enormous mantas all around us for over an hour. They come right for you with their giant mouths wide open and then spin upward and show you their belly as they glide away. they roll toward and away from each other (and you) like magnificent dancers but unlike stingrays they don't touch you. If a manta touches you it can damage their outer layer of protection, which guards them against parasites, disease, etc. But when you are underwater and see them sailing in and out of the deep blue and into the many lights all around that look like a theater, it is awe-inspiring. Yes, we bought the video of our trip. KDC does everything just right from the prep and education before the trip, the lights and duration of the trip, and then the warm drinks and brownies on the way back. it was a perfect night that cannot be had anywhere else in the world.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

I know this thread is aging but I read it again when it got bumped today.

"Remember to book on or close to a full moon for the best likelihood of seeing many mantas."

Shea, don't you mean to try and book close to a new moon, not a full moon?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Yes, kathyva, thanks! Duh....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

I had no idea there are more near a full moon. Why is that?

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

I think you want a new moon since it will be darker and no reflection of the moon on the water.

If it was a full moon maybe the rays would not be coming up to the flash lights in a concentrated area.

When I did a trip in Puerto Rico to a phosphorescent bay it was better during a new moon ( total darkness)

Edited: 24 September 2013, 08:42
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

I misspoke in the earlier post, it's a new moon you want. When there is plenty of moonlight the rays are less likely to need/seek out the lights from the boats and divers that help them to see the plankton.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Great to know! thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

My husband (a hard to please Aussie) went with Splashers in April this year. He had a great time and highly recommends them.

Reply to: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted