We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Delmar, Maryland
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Is it worth it to do the night snorkel or scuba diving to see the Manta Rays? Who do you recommend to go with or not go with? Cost? Any coupons available?

99 replies to this topic
Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

I just had someone on my boat last week for the manta dive that had dove with them in the Maldives. ..he said it was great, "but they weren't this friendly". He thought this was fabulous, I suspect the thought the same of his manta diving in the Maldives.

The manta dive here is a completely different type of event that elssewhere, as a diver you are essentially sitting down the entire time, the number of people really doesn't matter, oftentimes it's a case of the more the merrier... it's all about how much plankton shows up.

WNY
Level Contributor
146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Someone up-thread asked about another way to snorkel with the mantas at the Sheraton.

We went to the Sheraton to watch [am now kicking myself that we didn't go watch earlier, because I definitely would have signed up to go out!]. There were two boats [one was the HulaKai] and there were also three kayaks with their weak little flashing lights there, too. Don't know the logistics of how they got there or whether it's a "legit" thing to do, but one person stayed with the kayaks while two others snorkeled. I'm assuming they came from Keahou Bay, but I don't know.

GC
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
696 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

My wife and I did the night manta dive with Wanna Dive early in May. I've got just under 1,000 dives under my belt and live in the Cayman Islands. It was easily one of the best experiences diving I've ever had.

Edited: 01 June 2011, 02:34
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,066 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Definitely the more the merrier in Hawaii. The more people, the more flashlights. The more flashlights, the more plankton. The more plankton, the more manta activity. In Hawaii, the do an underwater ballet around, over and through the divers kneeling on the ocean floor. They brush your head as they pass over....it's not a normal diving experience where you dive along and see sharks or mantas. You are actually a part of their experience in Hawaii. Definitely an other- worldly experience.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Are there any pros and cons to going to the airport or the Sheraton.

We are just going to be snorkeling..and I had narrowed it down to Big island divers and Kona Divers...but everytime I read again..I see other names to research.

Looking for good snorkel trip. I know sea paradise and Hula Kai cater to snorkelers, but I also heard they have more people. Whereas Big Island Divers only has a max of like 15 I think. (I have it in an email).

Really dno't care about food so much as the best snorkel experience.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,066 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

We go with Jacks Dive Locker (at the airport) and they are fabulous, but we are divers. The only time we went as snorkelers (when we had friends who don't dive over) it was a last minute thing and the only operator who had space was Neptune Charlies, also known as Manta Ray Dives. Should have been my first clue :). You can click on my name, then on my reviews and read about our experience if you'd like. Simply put, I don't recommend them. Some have had a good experience with them, according to their reviews, but why take the chance on it? Go with somebody we regulars here on the Hawaii boards recommend.

If it were me, I'd PM friscuba and ask his opinion. He is in the business and knows what's currently going on. To PM, just click on his name then click on messages. Write your question then send. Easy! After you get back, let us know how it went.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Thanks..actually I had PM'd him earlier today! :-)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,067 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip with Sea Paradise, but there were only about 8 passengers. It may be more crowded these days.

San Diego...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

This dive is worth every penny and I have gone with a few dive companies to dive with the mantas I think Big Island Divers has the best experience and price

bedford
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

We did the snorkeling and LOVED it. Totally worth the money. We were in Hawaii for 17 days...4 islands and this was one of the top 3 things we did!

Reply to: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted