We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Delmar, Maryland
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Is it worth it to do the night snorkel or scuba diving to see the Manta Rays? Who do you recommend to go with or not go with? Cost? Any coupons available?

99 replies to this topic
on a boat
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Snorkeling I recommend hula kai and hokuhele, and I'm biased to the south site since theirs less boats. If you want to dive well theirs lots of company's and I'd go up north for that.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

If you're a diver, it's considered to be pretty much the top night dive in the world. We've had divers with hundreds to thousands of dives doing it say it's one of the best of any dives they've ever done afterwards. I can't tell you how many snorkelers I've heard say "that's the coolest thing I've ever done" after they're back on the boat.

It's pretty much a one of a kind adventure when the mantas are there. On nights the mantas aren't around it can be a dissappointment for the snorkelers, luckily the success rate is pretty good, for divers at least there's a night dive if there are no mantas.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
119 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

We did the snorkel with Neptune Charlie's a week and a half ago and it was fantastic! It was something on my must-do list and completely surreal.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

We did the snorkel with Sea Paradise and will have to say it was probably the best snorkel trip we have been on. We ended up going off the back of the boat opposite the light because a lady going down the steps was having an issue. The black water was a little unnerving but once we got to the lights and the Manta's showed up it was truly amazing. The Manta's would come within inches of us. The two that night, Reese and Timbuktu were about 9ft. across. Around 900lbs. of fish coming so close they would push me up in the water with the pressure between us. And I have told many people that even if I was a diver I would still do the snorkel. I liked the fact that I didn't have to crane my neck to watch their dance. There is a short video on my profile from that trip.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,895 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip with Sea Paradise (Hokuhele). One of the neatest things we've ever done.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

Has anyone taken kids on the snorkel?

And if this is anything like stingray city in the Caymans then 'worth it' probably doesn't come close to describing it.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

I think it's safe to say it's nothing like Stingray City. First off it's at night not during the day. Second you are not to touch the Manta's. Third they can be much, much larger than the stingrays and Manta's have no barbs. And lastly though they are feeding you are not feeding them so there is no "muggings" like I've seen from the stingray areas.

As for kids check with the boat you take. Sea Paradise shows prices for kids 4-12. But I would call and ask them. They are the ones that see kids reactions day in and day out. In the end it will be up to the child. When we first took our boys to the islands for the fist time they were 11 and 17. The 17 YO enjoyed snorkeling but was never real comfortable with it. The 11 YO took to it as if he had done it a 100 times before with little instruction. After that trip he decided he wanted his scuba cert and was going to be a Marine biologist. A plan that hasn't changed in 5 years. Let the child decide and never force them. There should be people on the boat if they choose not to go.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
170 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

We did the manta snorkel with Jack's Diving Locker in August 2009. We didn't love the snorkel stop along the way but once we were in the water with the mantas it was one of the single most amazing experiences we've ever had. One thing I will caution you is that some boats take HOARDS of people that have no concern for others around them. The boat next to us had everyone floating on some type of device and then they all had fins on. This meant all of us repeatedly got smacked in the head or face from these folks as they couldn't really control where they were floating and were flapping their feet all around instead of floating calmly on the service. Despite all of that, it was astounding to see the mantas and get so close to them. We saw several the night we went.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

I would not recommend going with Neptune Charlies, also known as Manta Ray Dives. For my reasons why, click on the link below:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60872-d5629…

I do recommend Jacks Dive Locker for a professional and safe trip. If you are certified, do the dive, otherwise stick with snorkeling...they take both and I have done both.

Edited: 17 February 2011, 10:30
Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?

We took my 9 yr old son. Loved it and was his idea. He is very comfortable in the water and also has done sting ray city in Cayman. Yes, it is worth it. Without being a research biologist this is probably your only chance in a lifetime to see them like this. Assuming they continue to come to this spot, this is the only place in the world where this happens with Mantas.

I do think Snorkel is better they come right up to the surface and yes, they touch you but you can't touch them.

Seriously There are no words.

If you love to snorkel or dive you'll love it.

Reply to: Manta Ray night snorkel or scuba diving. Worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona