We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is open on Thanksgiving in Kona?

Saint Louis Park...
12 posts
Save Topic
What is open on Thanksgiving in Kona?

My husband and I arrive in Kona the night before Thanksgiving and are renting a condo. We had hoped to get groceries but are worried about what might or might not be open on Thanksgiving for shopping and eating out. Any advice on what is open on Thanksgiving in the Kona area?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is open on Thanksgiving in Kona?

Safeway is open until 6:00 pm on Thanksgiving day. Denny's is open 24 hours. Not sure about any other restaurants since we arrive late on Thanksgiving day, everything except Denny's will be closed.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,272 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is open on Thanksgiving in Kona?

If you want to eat at a restaurant, you need to make plans asap. There are some nice hotel buffets, some with seaside views, but they will be more expensive than eating "at home" in the condo. However, since they can be daylight meals, it could be a chance to drive up to one of the Kohala resorts and get back in the light, without worrying about driving back to 30-odd miles in the dark.

Mauna Lani has a nice buffet in the Bay Terrace--open air--and you could stroll thru the historic fish pond area there, even go see the Puako petroglyphs before or after the meal (what better way to walk off the turkey!).

Petroglyph info: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29217-c56173/Island-…

Mauna Lani T-day info: maunalani.com/pdfThanksgiving-at-Mauna-Lani.…

Mauna Kea also has a buffet

princeresortshawaii.com/mauna-kea-beach-hote…

Not all restaurants are open Thanksgiving, so if you want to eat in one in Kona, best make a reservation.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,767 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is open on Thanksgiving in Kona?

I caught an ad on TV from Walmart this week, and I think it was a Hawai'i market ad -- anyhow, they were saying Walmart is open all day Thanksgiving, and opens at 5 am the next morning for sales ... made some reference to midnight, as if it might be open that late.

The Walmart in Hilo is normally open until 2 a.m., I think. 334-0466 is the number if you want to call on the hours.

I haven't been in the Kona store for some time, but the Hilo store recently renovated and replaced the very limited grocery inventory with quite a few more options. TT or someone could tell you about Kona. It's right below Safeway.

Certainly you can get stuff like milk, cereal, snacks, beverages, water, mac nuts, frozen dinners, eggs, waffles, bread, chips, ice cream, coffee. They don't sell fresh produce or meats, but they do have fresh dairy.

Just a thought.

Saint Louis Park...
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is open on Thanksgiving in Kona?

Thank you so much!! We're heading out of the snow to the airport in just a few minutes. What a timely post! Hawaii...here we come.

5. Re: What is open on Thanksgiving in Kona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2011, 11:11