We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy fresh fish in Kona?

Colorado
10 posts
Save Topic
Where to buy fresh fish in Kona?

We will be going to Kona in April. We love to grill almost every night. Is there still any place in Kona to buy fresh fish from? Two years ago when we were in Kona there was place in the Kona International Market and four years ago there was a place right by marina. Thank you for your help!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy fresh fish in Kona?

KTA and Sack'N'Save supermarkets are your best choices. There is a fish store at the marina, there is a fish store right on the highway in Honaunau (across of Middle Keei Road) and there is a new Fish Farmers Market once a month at NELHA, but IMHO it's not worth the trouble going to those places.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy fresh fish in Kona?

The marina fish market has reopened again under new ownership. Much cleaner looking that it was a few years back. I haven't been in to check out the selection.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,443 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy fresh fish in Kona?

this week in the international market ther is a new outlet... dont know how long it will last

KTA in Keahou and Safeway have the pest fish.... Sack N save is a garbage pit from my experience poor quality, poor selection and crummy service... but that my opinion after only 10 years of going there.....I could be wrong

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy fresh fish in Kona?

Dan is partly right, the guy who used to be in charge of the seafood department at Sack'N'Save left and it sure shows in the selection, he was buddy with all the local fishermen. However, while the prepared fish selection is not that good anymore, Sack'N'Save is the only supermarket where you can still buy whole fish like Baby Aku or Opakapaka, in addition to reef fish. They will even clean it for you!

G2
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy fresh fish in Kona?

Bite Me Fishing Charters out of Honokohau Harbour is running their Bite Me Fish Market and Restaurant...often selling fish caught by their clients that day...we bought a few Marlin steaks from them and they were very good.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,443 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy fresh fish in Kona?

bottom line... the fresh fish business here is slim to none. Most places dont last long and prices are very high since most fish sold here, I have found, has to be flown in from other areas of the world where they have a fishing industry.... we dont.......strange as that seems

People cone here expecting a garden of eden for excellent and cheap fish better than where they live....

I have found better fish selections in Rapid City South Dakota !! than in Kona!!

Checked prices the othe day

Ono....$15.00 lb Mahi...$13 lb Ahi..12-17 LB Marlin..$6 lb

Ontario
Level Contributor
472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy fresh fish in Kona?

So where is the "Bite Me" fish "market" located?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy fresh fish in Kona?

Honokohau Harbour.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy fresh fish in Kona?

just to be clear, aren't the marina and Honokohau one and the same? Is Bite Me Market the same as what friscuba mentioned in post #2?

I know some people like eating marlin, but I don't.

Dan you are part right about the fishing and part not. There are lots of guys who fish these coasts, and not just for charters. I am very aware of them, spending a lot of time in North Kohala. You can see them trolling from Kawaihae to Upolu Point when conditions permit. (Which is why there's a fish market in Kawaihae!)

There is also Suisan of Hilo that seems to act as the central buyer and distributor for the fish, trucking it all over the island.

OK, that was the disagreement part. Where I agree is that I used to shop for fish at the store all the time in the SF Bay Area, and I rarely do here. Sometimes the counters look pretty sad. The best fish I've eaten here was either at a restaurant -- for way too much money -- or fish that a friend of a friend caught while out on their own small boat and shared.

I will admit I am kind of grossed out by the smell around fish markets. The one in Kawaihae just reeks, even across the street it stinks. DH says that's from the bilge water being dumped out or something.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy fresh fish in Kona?

We eat a lot of fish, and compared to the mainland IMHO the local fish is good and reasonable. I go to KTA for my fish, my DH likes to go to Sac and Save. Bite Me does a nice job, I only went once with friends and I was impressed.

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona