We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fair Wind vs Hula Kai

Indialantic, FL
Level Contributor
21 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Fair Wind vs Hula Kai

Just booked our 3rd trip to the Big Island for next summer and I’m so excited! Just a question. We love the FairWind snorkel cruise and have done it on both of our previous trips. I was looking at their deluxe trip which is on the Hula Kai, which says it goes to 2 spots (that I wasn’t familiar with). Any opinions from people who have done both? My kids are a fan of the slides and high jump but if the other locations are less crowded and nice, I might want to try out the smaller boat. Thanks in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fair Wind vs Hula Kai

I have done both and prefer the Hula Kai because the boat is smaller and there are less people plus the vibe is more adult. The food and service are also fabulous. The two locations can be Kealeakakua Bay (where the Fairwinds always goes) and one other or depending on conditions it can be two locations not including Kealeakakua. With kids, I would go on the Fairwinds.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,855 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fair Wind vs Hula Kai

I have always heard that Hula Kai goes to deep water sites, but I haven’t been.

I also think it’s a tour people take to get away from tours with lots of kids, so it would be OK if the kids can act restrained, but the question is do you want to have to think about that.

Indialantic, FL
Level Contributor
21 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fair Wind vs Hula Kai

Thanks guys! To clarify, my kids are older (14, 10) and are experienced swimmers and snorkelers so while they love the fun aspect of the slides and high dive, I think they might enjoy getting to do different sites on a smaller boat that is less crowded. This is great advice, thanks so much!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,855 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fair Wind vs Hula Kai

Sounds good. :)

So not sure you know that the southern tours are great for winter, but in summer, the Kohala waters are the calmest and there are great tours there, reasonably priced.

Mauna Lani Sea Adventures is probably the top company.

Indialantic, FL
Level Contributor
21 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fair Wind vs Hula Kai

Awesome! Will check this one out, thank you!

Reply to: Fair Wind vs Hula Kai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted