We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee addict

Wimberley, TX
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Coffee addict

Where would be the best place to purchase Kona coffee and macadamia chocolates to take home, on foot, in Kailua-Kona? Cruising into port and going on a snorkeling tour in the afternoon, so just a couple of hours to shop on a Saturday morning. TIA.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 21:28
8 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
221 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Coffee addict

I'm sure there are lots of great coffee places in Kailua-Kona, but my favorite is Kona Mountain Coffee.

I always buy their Private Reserve online and have them ship to our home in LA. That was my first stop off the plane when I visited the BI 3 years ago, when I needed good, strong coffee for my drive towards Hilo. Coffee is very smooth, so I can drink it black.

They're just north from Kailua-Kona town towards the airport on Hulikoa Drive.

I plan to stop by and get a few bags when we're in town later on this month. Enjoy! :)

Kona
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
50 reviews
2. Re: Coffee addict

There are three large stores within close walking distance of the pier (uphill all the way, but not far) – Long's, Sack n' Save and KTA. All of them have good selections of 100% Kona Coffee from local farmers, at reasonable prices. Do not be fooled into purchasing anything called "Kona Blend," which only has 10% Kona coffee and 90% low-grade coffee from wherever – you can't even taste the Kona.

All three also have macadamia chocolates, so those are your best bet for a short walk. Another option is Target, but it's a bit farther to the north, and although they have the best prices on the macadamia chocolates (by a few cents, no great deal) their coffee selection isn't as good as, say, Long's.

One place not to buy Kona coffee is at the fake farmers' market on Ali'i Drive. Some of the coffee vendors there steal the coffee from the grocery stores to sell in the "farmers' market."

South Pole
Level Contributor
41,307 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Coffee addict

I agree about the Hukiloa Drive location, but on foot, what wahine said. She really knows all about Kona coffee growing and marketing as well. The blend stuff is awful, don’t be tempted by the prices.

The last time I went in longs, it was not a great store, but it’s got a niche for selling the coffee and chocolate Mac nuts at great prices. Also was good for liquor and wine prices, if that’s of interest.

You’re probably already on this, but you’re going to want a shopping tote if you’re on foot and walking up and down the hill, and then taking your finds on a boat cruise (waterproof tote/beach bag perhaps). Also be aware there are no plastic bags given out on the island any more, and the stores that do have paper, the bags are thin and rip easily. So be prepared or you can pick a tote bag up on shore.

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Coffee addict

Good point from KK about a tote bag. I’d be even more worried about heat than wet on the boat. If there’s any way you could buy your chocolates after your snorkel tour I’d do that. Otherwise they may melt.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 00:27
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: Coffee addict

In the Kona Coffee Cafe (Kona Inn Shopping Village) they have 100% Kona free coffee tastings. You may then purchase and they will shop to your home or you may take back to the ship. They also have Donkey Balls, a local candy company featuring mac nut and other chocolate delicacies, tastings also available. They are really good, even though many people buy them as a joke. They close at 9 pm every night so you wouldn’t have to worry about the chocolate melting or having to carry it around with you. They are just minutes from the pier.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 00:54
South Pole
Level Contributor
41,307 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Coffee addict

Teri S makes important point. Your chocolate will almost certainly melt off your macs if you buy it in the morning. Which reminds me that Mac nuts alone are worth buying. Hamakua MAC Nuts are an excellent brand. Wasabi nuts, honey nuts, garlic, many choices as well as simply roasted. Not saying don’t buy the chocolate coated, of course.

There are also Hawaiian grown chocolate bars. Foodland sells them, and Sack n Save (mentioned by wahine) is also owned by Foodland, usually displayed near the deli and bakery area with the gourmet treats. I’m not sure if that store has them though. I’ve only shopped the Hilo SnS.

Wimberley, TX
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Coffee addict

Great help, thanks!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
73 reviews
8. Re: Coffee addict

Have a ball and enjoy your port time in Kailua Kona! There are some wonderful things to see and do just walking around the village, including some historic and sacred sites, a king’s palace, the oldest Christian Church in the islands (built with rare Hawaiian koa wood), ancient artifacts as well as oceanfront restaurants, shave ice, and fun shops. Happy cruising!

Edited: 07 August 2018, 10:15
Reply to: Coffee addict
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona