We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

There’s rain in the forecast for my entire visit

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
There’s rain in the forecast for my entire visit

This will be my first time in Hawaii. My fiancé and I will be staying at the Sheraton Kona from 8/9-8/15. Looks like there’s rain and thunderstorms in the forecast for the entire week... Any suggestions for rainy day activities/adventures??

24 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
1. Re: There’s rain in the forecast for my entire visit

We were in Hilo for nearly 3 days a week ago and we actually found the rain to be a welcoming reprieve for the 90+ degree weather that we had. It didn't stop us from doing anything that we liked: snorkeling at Richardson, visiting Akaka falls, or driving to Pahoa to see the lava glow at night. We just carried an umbrella and rain jackets with us at all times.

Having said that, next week hurricane Hector will brush the big island so that's likely to be a very different type of rain. However keep in mind that most of the rain will fall on the Eastern side and that Kona is fairly sheltered from the moving storms so I wouldn't change plans just yet.

California
Level Contributor
7,793 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: There’s rain in the forecast for my entire visit

It rain's literally every day in Hawaii that's why the forecast's always show rain. It's called the tropic's for a reason. In reality you may never have rain issues and if you do it'll most likely be a scattered shower here and there.

I'd be more concerned about staying in Kailua-Kona then the rain forecast itself. One of the main reason's why most people stay on the Kohala Coast instead is because of the better weather.

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
3. Re: There’s rain in the forecast for my entire visit

We just got back from staying in Kailua-Kona (on Ali'i Drive by the Banyan surf area) and had a fantastic time. I actually wish it rained more (it only rained over night a couple of times). We didn't have any problems with Kona (only one homeless person approached us the entire 2 weeks which is way less hassle that you get in Waikiki). Downtown Kaikua-Kona is a bit cheesy but the location is great for being central to the island.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: There’s rain in the forecast for my entire visit

Thanks everyone! I will go ahead with my plans and carry rain gear.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: There’s rain in the forecast for my entire visit

I saw that! I won’t be there until Thursday so there’s a good chance it will be over when I’m there.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
18,202 posts
137 reviews
6. Re: There’s rain in the forecast for my entire visit

Most weather apps don't have a clue to Hawai‘i weather. These two will give you much more accurate forecasts. Unless the rain is at 80% or more, don't worry....scattered showers are just that, scattered. And no forecast is good for more than a couple of days out. Have a great time!

https:/…

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php…

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,734 posts
59 reviews
7. Re: There’s rain in the forecast for my entire visit

Bring an umbrella. Itʻs usually too hot to wear a raincoat in August.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: There’s rain in the forecast for my entire visit

Thanks! @3chihuahuas

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: There’s rain in the forecast for my entire visit

Second that. It’s way too hot and humid to wear a plastic garment. An umbrella worn with shorts and sleeveless top and slippahs is about right unless you’re up the mountain like in Volcano.

California
Level Contributor
45 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: There’s rain in the forecast for my entire visit

We arrive on the 9th as well, and this hurricane business has me a little bummed too!

Reply to: There’s rain in the forecast for my entire visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona