We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to Hualalai Ula OCean Grill anniversary dinner?

california
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Topic
Alternative to Hualalai Ula OCean Grill anniversary dinner?

Aloha... I have reservations at the Fourseasons - THIS Friday Aug 3rd in the Beach Tree for a casual dinner, and Saturday at the Ulu Ocean Griill, Fours Seasons to celebrate a special Wedding ANniversary.. We are only in the area for a few nights.. We are staying at the Marriott Waikoloa.. I notice the weather forecast is for thunderstorms Fri/Sat. I KNOW weather can change.. but wondering if there are any alternatives in the waikoloa area where it looks like the weather might be better.. We are going to Lava Lavas one night. . It DOES look like the Ulu Grill is covered.. SO perhaps it will be ok? Thoughts? I dont mind getting a little wet, just would be nice to have an ocean view/sunset with our special dinner.

Mentioned in this post
Beach Tree Bar and Lounge
450 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
6 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
257 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative to Hualalai Ula OCean Grill anniversary dinner?

There is plenty of indoor seating at Ulu. It's the Four Seasons, they'll take good care of you regardless of the weather!

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative to Hualalai Ula OCean Grill anniversary dinner?

There's Kamuela Provision Company at the Hilton Waikoloa or Manta at the Mauna Kea resort.

Mentioned in this post
Kamuela Provision Company
Kamuela Provision Company
1,133 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Mauna Kea
Mauna Kea
267 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative to Hualalai Ula OCean Grill anniversary dinner?

Stick with ULU. There’s nothing remotely comparable. As you said, forecasts may or

may not pan out, and weather just up the coast won’t be appreciably different anyway. As mentioned, ULU has covered seating where you can still have the open air effect and views. When I was sitting at the ULU bar in early May, the wind suddenly picked up and rain briefly poured. It was actually very cool to watch.

~ Colleen

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,464 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative to Hualalai Ula OCean Grill anniversary dinner?

Ulu has indoors. Also storm forecasts tend to be iffy and highly variable by location. Just go.

california
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative to Hualalai Ula OCean Grill anniversary dinner?

Mahalo.... ULU it is then!

Washington State
Level Contributor
205 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative to Hualalai Ula OCean Grill anniversary dinner?

We were having dinner at the Beach Tree one time and were hit with a sudden downpour. We were quickly moved undercover out of the rain and it only lasted a short time anyway. Stick with your plan A; you won't be disappointed!

Mentioned in this post
450 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Reply to: Alternative to Hualalai Ula OCean Grill anniversary dinner?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona