We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to Do in September

Level Contributor
68 posts
32 reviews
Things to Do in September

Family is heading to the Big Island in September. Kids are 12 and 9. We will be on the Big Island for 8 days. We want to do a Luau, horseback riding, day snorkeling, and a night snorkel with manta rays. We are staying at in the Hilton village in one of the 2 bedroom lodging time share spots. We will have a 4x4 Jeep rented and want to go up to Mauna Kea. I know lots of things just depend on weather but should I start prebooking some things for early in our trip? If so, what companies and places to you recommend?

13 replies to this topic
Kona
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
50 reviews
1. Re: Things to Do in September

The car companies that rent Jeeps all prohibit renters from driving them to the summit of Mauna Kea. The only company that allows this is Harper's, and I don't believe that any of their 4WD vehicles are Jeeps.

When in September are you coming? There are a number of great events on Hawaii Island in September.

Do the kids enjoy hiking?

Level Contributor
68 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Things to Do in September

Yes the kids like hiking. Should I call and schedule a rental for 1 day to drive up in the Kea? September 20-29th

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,029 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Things to Do in September

Well, your kids are too young for the altitude at the summit, so you should only drive to the VIS and can do the stargazing. Check the IFA (institute for astronomy) website for all about visiting either one.

You don’t need 4WD to go to the VIS or to any place you need it, all prohibited by your contract. These are street Jeeps anyway, not outfitted with the right tires for off-roading on this island.

Unless they gave you a free upgrade, you might save the money, get a sedan, and have a great meal with the price difference.

I have a very low opinion of commercial luaus, but if I were picking one I’d probably go to Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, and would arrive earlier to enjoy a spectacular beach there that has very limited public access (so luau tix should get you parking). Also you can see the mantas under lights there.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,029 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Things to Do in September

Snorkelling - adjacent resort at the Mauna Lani, public access available, Makaiwa Bay is the beach spot. Also Waialea Bay within Hapuna State Park. You can give Anaehoomalu Bay at your resort area a shot, although it’s not such clear water. Also Kaunaoa at the Mauna Kea.

Horseback riding — Naalepa tour to Waipio Valley, or Kahua Ranch if you are experienced and want something less nose to tail and slow.

Shelbyville...
12 posts
5. Re: Things to Do in September

Is there a site to find out what events will be held in September? We are also headed to Hawaii Island in September and would love to find out what's happening!

Kona
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
50 reviews
6. Re: Things to Do in September

Here's one useful site, but there are several; you can Google them . . .

https:/…events

To the OP: Your dates in September are too late for the cool events I was going to recommend, but you'll have plenty to keep you busy!

Regarding horseback riding, a good friend had a birthday celebration recently with a group - they went riding with Paniolo Adventures on Kohala Mountain. I haven't been myself, but she highly, highly recommended it:

https://www.panioloadventures.com/index.php

For a fairly strenuous (steep) but not long (30 min. each way) and visually stunning hike, you'll want to hike down to Pololu Valley and spend some time on the beach there.

Commerical luaus are very inauthentic – instead of spending big bucks on bad food, watered-down drinks and cheesy entertainment, try one of the free hula shows in the area you'll be staying:

shopsatmaunalani.com/free-polynesian-shows/

waikoloabeachresort.com/index.php/things-to-…

Level Contributor
68 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: Things to Do in September

Thank you!

Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Things to Do in September

For what it's worth there are not any actual studies correlating altitude sickness to age; only that those who cannot communicate are at high risk in altitude. In fact, you can find academic studies showing that there is NO correlation between age and altitude sickness. The visitors center has a disclaimer warning for children under 13 - but be mindful that this is not tied to any data. People love to sensationalize dangers but there is no data to suggest there actually is heightened danger for children here.

If you look outside of Mauna Kea, such as Breckenridge, Switzerland, Mt. Kilimanjaro, or other high altitude locations you won't really find the same opinion based cautions.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,029 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Things to Do in September

The medical literature discusses how children are not as able to interpret and communicate what their body is telling them, the younger the more so of course. Key to dealing with altitude sickness is quick recognition it is happening and swift descent.

There’s a Top Question of children and altitude sickness that I did some time ago. I don’t have time to review it, but it has some links.

I don’t believe there is another mountain in the world where people can travel from sea level to almost 14,000 feet in under two hours. Most high mountains people start at a base that is several thousand feet above sea level, with more time to acclimate.

A different issue with children that I see, and others may not, is that they are too young to understand the risks they take on when their parents choose to take them to places on vacation. I personally think that good parenting involves (often) the need for adults to modify their own pleasures for the well being of the children. That includes being cautious even when the issue is not a certainty, but is well documented as a possibility. Others may not agree.

the west...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Things to Do in September

We’re staying at the same hotel for the exact dates you mentioned!!! Also w 3 kids but ages 6, 4 and 7 months.

Reply to: Things to Do in September
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona
Recent Conversations