We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car insurance

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
40 reviews
Rental car insurance

Does anyone have an idea what it cost for week of rental car insurance on a regular size car in Hawaii? Any suggestions on where to get it in Kona?

18 replies to this topic
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
321 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Rental car insurance

First check with your insurance company that covers your vehicle at home to see if your existing coverage might also cover rental cars.....ogo

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Rental car insurance

Or check your credit card.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,100 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Rental car insurance

I always just take my insurance card with me, I'm covered for any car I drive legally. I've discovered that CC's don't cover SUV's and larger vehicles.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: Rental car insurance

Yes if you have regular car insurance check w/ your agent first for liability & car damage. If so bring your insurance card with you. Many travel credit cards such as United Explorer include car damage/loss. It will be most expensive at the rental counter & can easily double your daily cost.

Muncie, IN
Level Contributor
214 posts
5. Re: Rental car insurance

I was wondering the same thing. I normally don't take the insurance, but after reading about the high incidences of car windows being smashed, I am considering it just so I don't have to deal with my insurance company if it does happen.

Dallas
Level Contributor
26,954 posts
79 reviews
6. Re: Rental car insurance

mamma where did you see that ?

pkc12 - be careful and your windows are very unlikely to get smashed. I sure would not pay the outrageous rates the car rental charges to cover a broken window.

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
83 posts
321 reviews
7. Re: Rental car insurance

My Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard includes CDW coverage for SUVs.

California
Level Contributor
7,804 posts
52 reviews
8. Re: Rental car insurance

Agree about the credit card coverage. Almost (except the high-end cards) all of the credit cards that say they provide car insurance don't provide all the coverage you need. Car insurance coverage is very confusing and they know it. Often leading people to rent a car believing they have full protection when they don't.

Talk to your insurance rep back home and let them go over your credit card limits so you know exactly what you really have. I also bring a copy of my policy from home and waive the rental car insurance.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Rental car insurance

We were hit by an uninsured driver a while back and our Visa card paid the whole bill.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Rental car insurance

Also, if broken windows is what you’re most concerned about, check if this particular hazard is covered... some do and some don’t (this goes for your own private plan, credit card, or even through the rental agency’s plan.)

Reply to: Rental car insurance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona
Recent Conversations