We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers

Manitoba
Level Contributor
575 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
First timers

Need a starting point. Coming in April for my sister's Hawaii 5-0! 4 adults for 10 days. She loves outdoor space (tanning addict) and I love ocean view sunsets on the lania. The guys like to bbq and sit on the beach. Suggestions for a nice beachfront area with some fun spots near by. Thanks! This looks like a very friendly forum😊

52 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,691 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers

Hi! So I would read through the Top Questions on the right hand side and some recent topics as a starting point.

There's only one beach resort district here which makes it a little easier, lol, and that's the Kohala Coast. Waikoloa Beach and the Mauna Lani are the two main resort areas and they each have their own Top Question. So once you've browsed those and think you have a handle on where would be best, let us know your nightly accommodation budget if you need specific condo suggestions.

I would suggest splitting a stay about 7/3 between the west and east sides. Fly into one side and out the other. On the east side look at Hilo or Volcano.

Manitoba
Level Contributor
575 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers

OK good advise. I'll have to drag out the big laptop I guess because I don't see this on my tablet! We already have flight booked in and out of Kailua April 5 to 15. Budget $300 as top. Interested in #4483598ha and #1057609...but after reading some advice on the forum they don't seem like the best area?

Edited: 13 September 2017, 17:49
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers

Here are live links to the two units you mentioned:

https://www.vrbo.com/1057609

https:/…p4483598

Both are in Kailua-Kona. Shea suggested the Kohala Coast, which is north. You can read volumes on here (including some current discussions) to get an idea of the varied opinions on these two areas. Google "VRBO Kohala Coast" to check out units, and keep in mind that booking through a management company is a means of avoiding VRBO fees.

~ Colleen

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers

Actually you can see the Top Questions on a tablet or phone, which I am doing right now. Just use your browser instead of an app. If it opens in the mobile version, which is most of the time, scroll down to the bottom of the page, select Full Site, and you have it. I much prefer the full site mode to the mobile or the stupid app. There are several excellent features that are only available in desktop mode. Luckily it runs just fine on IOS devices. I don't have an android device, but I would think it works the same if you have that.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers

So if you can copy and paste the actual URL of the listing it will make a clickable link and much appreciated. Just putting the VRBO number makes an extra step of finding he link for everyone trying to help. (I will click a link, but I won't chase down a number.) The TA software requires you put no punctuation or anything typed next to the URL or the software won't see it as a link and it won't be clickable,

It is quite expensive on this island to get on or right next to beachfront. It's a lot more affordable if you're oK with being really close by car or a middling walk. Ocean views from the lanai are also pricy. But ocean views from the beach can be had easily. Hotels in Kohala are almost all beachfront.

btw, there is no BBQ or fires allowed on the beach here, but the condos have either common area grilling or BBQ on the lanai. Also no drinking on the beach although people do it discretely.

I'd suggest checking out the Vista Waikoloa complex or Waikoloa Shores. Some have ocean views, and they have big lanais, and just sounds to me like you might find them right for your vacation lifestyle. They are older looking if not renovated, so look at a bunch of different ones to see the choices.

Edited: 14 September 2017, 01:46
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,691 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers

There are essentially no beaches of note in Kailua Kona. As I mentioned in my first reply, except for the very expensive Hualalai resort which is in North Kona, South Kohala is where the beach resorts are.

As KK mentions, Vista Waikoloa has affordable oceanview units and it's across the street from the beach. I think you should look at Kolea which is as close to beachfront as this island gets and is a gorgeous complex with high end outdoor kitchens/grills built into the lanais. I just looked in April and there are eight units available that are $300 or under (excluding taxes and fees).

Edited: 14 September 2017, 02:30
Manitoba
Level Contributor
575 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers

Thanks so much! Ive been doing lots of reading on here today and now you have given me more to research! Thats great! Sorry Im not really great with the computers! Need to learn how to paste. My only worry about the Kohala coast is that it looks so golf coarsey{not a word I know} with no little towns. We like to mingle and go out for happy hours and nice dinners. Is there such thing up there? I did look up one that was suggested on the forum at Mauna Lani Resort. It was Kulanani 101. The layout was so perfect! Just no beachview. I will check out your other suggestions and keep reading. Thanks for your time and suggestions

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,691 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers

Waimea is easy driving distance. Several decent restaurants, a brewery. Waikoloa Village, about six miles up the mountain from the Mauna Lani has Pueo's, which has a very good happy hour.

In addition there are several locally owned restaurants within the Mauna Lani and Waikoloa Beach.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers

The Big Island doesn't combine beaches and small local villages at close range. The beach district Land had been inundated by lava flows for a century or so until development began in the 1960's for hotels and golf courses.

Villages, OTOH, were almost all population centers based on agriculture, with larger towns as centers for shipping, processing, government, etc.. No relationship in location to beaches, bars, recreation.

In addition, most locals don't go out and mingle in the small towns and villages. They don't go out at night all that much, and mostly socialize with church and family. Those who regularly go to local bars can be a rough crowd.

Residents in higher income brackets and visitors keep the quality and aesthetically appealing restaurants afloat. Almost all the good restaurants are near tourist centers or in villages that tourists have discovered. That's just the way it is. You're kind of imagining some social economic mixture that doesn't exist here.

The main barrier to going to dinner farther out is drinking alcohol without having a designated driver, IMO. It's important to be 100% alert on the highways, and our limits are fairly low, and enforcement is serious.

Happy Hour is not a big thing here, although there are a few, like Pueo's, which Shea mentioned, also Tommy Bahamas at Mauna Lani shops.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers

Having said all that, there's a lively scene in the restaurants in the resort areas. It's not boring and it's not all people discussing their golf game. So I think you will be fine. Just understand that born and raised locals have little interest in sitting and swapaping stories with visitors. Tourism is so omnipresent here that people just want to escape it and talk to their friends and families.

The locals most into talking story are working in shops and galleries and so forth. People like to talk, but they work multiple jobs, and when they are off duty they want to be completely off from relating to people they don't know, which is understandable.

Edited: 14 September 2017, 08:32
Reply to: First timers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona