We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to the Big Island

2 posts
Save Topic
Day Trip to the Big Island

Hi All,

Would really appreciate some advice. We are in Oahu for 10 nights in March and my Husband and I are looking at doing a day trip around the Big Island. He would prefer to fly out from Oahu in the morning complete the Tour the fly back the same night. I'm concerned this is going to much of a big day for us.

I'm thinking we fly in one afternoon, complete the tour the next day stay the night again and return back to Oahu the next morning (staying 2 nights on the big island). My husband thinks is a waste of time.

If anyone can recommend tours would be great, we would like to see the Volconos and black sand beach mainly. We are currently looking at the Wasabi Grand Circle Tour or the Roberts Grand Circle Tour

Also if anyone has done one of the above tours how accessible are toilets throughout the day. I have weak bladder.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

12 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,688 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to the Big Island

I agree with your husband. I don't like those big bus tours at all. And if your idea of seeing a volcano is to see active lava, that won't happen with a day tour either.

If you want to see Volcanoes National Park, I would just fly into and out of Hilo, rent a car, stay a couple of nights in Volcano or Hilo, and self tour the Park. Maybe take a helicopter tour, There are a couple of accessible black sand beaches in the general vicinity.

California
Level Contributor
6,402 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to the Big Island

Unless you have to spend all 10 nights on Oahu why not simply spend a few on The Big Island like Shea said. If your going to deal with the hassle of flying over for a short visit you might as well spend a few days and truly enjoy it.

Most people won't recommend splitting up islands unless your staying over a week. You can easily do it and enjoy your trip still.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to the Big Island

Agree, day trips are not a good idea in reality.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,049 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to the Big Island

I wouldn't waste time and money on a daytrip. I'm not understanding the idea of a tour 'around the island' either.

You could book your own flights in and out of ITO (Hilo), book a car, and stay a night or two in Volcano. You'd at least see the 'red glow' at night, regardless of how active the volcano is come March.

*I* would save Big Island for another trip, when you could spend at least a full week and stay both Kohala Coast and Volcano. This is a BIG island. You aren't going to tour 'around' it on a daytrip.

As for black sand, you have to get TO it. Then, in five minutes...you've seen it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
62 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to the Big Island

Its not worth it , If anything do 7/8 nights in Oahu and 2/3 on the BI at VNP/Volcano , it's not worth the day and you wont be able to do or see much

GoodLuck

G&L

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to the Big Island

My 16th year in Kailua Kona on the Big Island. My very first visit was using Roberts Full day tour. One couple flew in that morning and flew back at the end of the tour, about 12 hours later. Although I had a rental car that time, the tour gave me a good idea of locations I would travel on my own. It is a long day tour but the guide we had was great. Bathroom stop opportunities were about every two hours while at a scheduled visitor spot as I recall. Hawaii Island is very large, in fact, all the other islands would fit on it... I also suggest staying two nights on the Big Island. Ten days on one island is too long in my opinion unless your goal is to relax on the beach or resort.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to the Big Island

"Ten days on one island is too long in my opinion unless your goal is to relax on the beach or resort."

A day trip does seem like a poor idea, and the OP has enough time to spend a couple of nights on the BI. I don't know that I agree with the above, though. Why would a week & half in an interesting place be "too long"?

~ Colleen

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to the Big Island

There are many ways to relax on an island beyond the beach, although that’s a great one. I never found ten days too long, but DH had lived here and lived for just being in Hawai’i, didn’t even care about sights, just being here. Also he had a job that worked him 60 hours or more a week, and I was a graduate student, so we definitely wanted time to decompress. A lot of people regular to this forum feel similar to that. Hawai’i is a place to shrug off stress and cares. So a lot of people can’t fathom choosing to come here and zip around, fight the pace of the islands and the local bent towards taking one’s time, in order to fulfill some checklist or bucket list items. YMMV

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,370 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip to the Big Island

If I were going to do it, I'd at least spend the night and all day (till flight) the next day, not just fly over and back the same day.

I'd use the DIY approach, not a package tour.

Why does he think spending extra time on the Big Island is a waste of time?

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,601 posts
2,907 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip to the Big Island

Caution recommended for the day trip.

Do seek lodging for Big Island.

Reply to: Day Trip to the Big Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona