We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waipio Valley ATV tour

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Waipio Valley ATV tour

We are looking to book a Waipio Valley ATV tour. We are staying in Waikola area and going to drive over. Read reviews for around the rim and Big Island ATV tour- Waipio Valley. The second one comes up as the first tour on the trip advisor page for Waipio Valley. But I can't seem to find who is the actual tour provider for the second tour. You can only book through trip advisor or viator. I prefer to book direct. The reviews and itinerary for the trip advisor tour were preferable for our preferences but I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with either?

Big Island Duck Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Bus Tours, Duck Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Epic! Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Torpedo Tours
Sightseeing Tours
8 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waipio Valley ATV tour

I don't know who that tour company is, and quite frankly I am shocked they are allowing ATV tours in the valley and also dumping people to swim at Hiilawe. Ugh.. I was never a fan even of the ride the rim one, but at least it wasn't IN the valley. I am sure residents are not happy about this, it appears to be a new development. Just this year. Anyway, I would never recommend such a tour, it's anathema to everything Hawaii and so disrespectful of Waipio Valley. I also would want to know if it's even legally operating. At any rate, I only can find it referenced through third party booking sites. Very weird. I just texted friends of mine who live down there to ask them what they knew. I suppose it's possible some residents have decided to try to make some money on the side.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,059 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waipio Valley ATV tour

I hadn't heard of them, but I see online that the ATV tours are given by at least one Waipio raised guide and mostly occur on her 100 acre family farm. The Hi'ilawe access seems unlike what the owners have approved in the past, so I'm certainly curious whether they have permission.

I'm against noisy motorized vehicles in peaceful areas where residents seek a quiet life.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,059 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waipio Valley ATV tour

Also Waipi'o Valley is a hotspot for leptospirosis - not the area I would choose to swim in fresh water.

Edited: 05 September 2017, 07:13
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waipio Valley ATV tour

So I'm sitting here at Napua talking to the bartender who lives part time down there. He says he's never heard or seen anything like that but if it's happening, he doesn't see how it could be legal. I'd really like to know who is doing it and if they're licensed/permitted. Now if somebody is doing it on their own land that's one thing, although I'm wondering if they're insured, but the Hiilawe thing is sketch.

Edited: 05 September 2017, 07:19
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Waipio Valley ATV tour

Sorry to piggyback...

@Shea - I've seen the tours advertised on Groupon. .. my dad wanted to do it on their trip in February..

An outfitter called "Ride the Rim" (ridetherim.com) is who the groupon is through.. I'm going to tell my dad this is a big fat no! Glad I saw this post.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waipio Valley ATV tour

Ride the rim is different. They don't go into the valley, they...ride the rim, lol. They are licensed and insured and have been around a very long time. I'm not crazy about those tours either, but there aren't any legal or ethical issues there really.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,059 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waipio Valley ATV tour

Derek, Ride the Rim is an older tour that rides the upper rim above the steep cliffs that frame the Valley, and that swim is in the Hi'ilawe headwaters. I'm not recommending the noisy ATVs, just clarifying the difference.

This new tour is down on the Valley floor, swimming is at the bottom of a "secret" waterfall (possibly they only look at Hi'ilawe) and swim nearby.

Shea, I sent you some info in your email just now.

Edited: 05 September 2017, 07:43
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,059 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waipio Valley ATV tour

Sorry to double up; I didn't see Shea's answer because I was multitasking before submitting my post.

Reply to: Waipio Valley ATV tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona