We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

Dunedin
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

Hi

We are arriving on the big island for a week and plan to rent a car. The legal and insurance environment in NZ is different to Hawaii. We will have travel insurance but this does not include rental car insurance other than rental vehicle excess of $6,000, personal liability of $2,500,000 and defence costs including wrongful arrest of $10,000.

Can anyone please help with advising what insurance options we need when we rent a car. Thanks in anticipation.

22 replies to this topic
Dunedin
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

Hi All

Thanks for all of the responses. The car insurance situation for NZ'rs in Hawaii is different to that for people from a number of other countries. Private car insurance NZ does not typically extend to rental cars within the country, let alone for international rentals. The cover provided by credit cards and travel insurance has its limitations. I did follow advice from another forum to shop around and take the pay at the airport rental booking option. I now have a booking through and agent with insurance at a competitive price,

12. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2017, 01:02

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,705 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

TA gets rather disgruntled when folks post their businesses.

Have you ever had any problems renting to tourists?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
59,689 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

No insurance will cover Turo.................

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
28,396 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

Please STOP spamming the forum with your ads. That is not what the travel forums are for. If you keep it up, you're going to get your account suspended. If you aren't familiar with the forum guidelines, go read them.

16. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2017, 20:11

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,705 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

It's not just the links, it's also the many refererences to your business, Joe.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
59,689 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

Your insurance doesn't cover a renter. They're screwed if something happens.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
28,396 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

Please STOP posting until you have read and understand the guidelines. You are cluttering up the forum with self serving promotional posts that are not allowed here. It is not just links, it is any promotion of your business that is not allowed. Not to mention repeatedly bumping topics to repeat the same thing (spam).

If anyone was going to be inclined to recommend you or your business here, they certainly wouldn't now given your inability to even understand or bother to learn the basics about what is and isn't allowed on the forum, and your disrespect of simple guidelines. Who would do business with someone like that?

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

Hi all,

I'm in a similar boat to the OP but being from Australia.

As recommended on here, I've booked via discount car rental and selected full insurance. On my quote it has the following:

Collision Damage Waiver Full -- $18.00 (No Excess)

Extended Protection -- $25.90 ($1,000,000)

Does this mean that I'm fully covered for things now? I'm not aware of what "At fault" means in Hawaii so really want to make sure that I don't have to worry.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona