We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

Dunedin
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

Hi

We are arriving on the big island for a week and plan to rent a car. The legal and insurance environment in NZ is different to Hawaii. We will have travel insurance but this does not include rental car insurance other than rental vehicle excess of $6,000, personal liability of $2,500,000 and defence costs including wrongful arrest of $10,000.

Can anyone please help with advising what insurance options we need when we rent a car. Thanks in anticipation.

19 replies to this topic
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,370 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

Aloha, turbopropDunedin,

Welcome to the forums.

You are wise to rent a car.

DHCR and Traveljigsaw are a couple of 3rd party booking companies which automatically include insurance in your quote.

Make a cancellable reservation asap, but keep checking for price drops. If/when you find one, rebook, then cancel the first res.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,370 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

Link for DHCR:

https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

Our auto insurance in Canada includes insurance for rentals, so we have not taken out the insurance through rental companies, which is pretty pricy....

Edited: 03 September 2017, 03:51
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,370 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

Most of our international visitors don't have that luxury.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

I am going to the Big island in april,first trip to Hawaii. From what I have read the only thing your not covered for in your travel insurance is the time the vehicle may be off the road for repairs. Everything else should be covered but check with your insurance company. I am using my Platinum credit card travel insurance as long as I pay using the card I'm covered.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,370 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

Rodney,

That wasn't this visitor's experience:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218…

Always check with your insurance agent.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

Agree, hence why I said check with your insurance company. My insurance company will only cover me if I go with a registered car rental company, so may not cover brokers, and does not cover the cost of the vehicle been out of service during repairs.

Edited: 04 September 2017, 09:00
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

Collision/damage insurance is easy enough if booked thru sites like Hotwire and typically cheaper than cost at rental counter. But you need liability coverage as well. So far I'm not sure how someone out of US covers that cost. Don't forget to pack your drivers license for New Zealand (you won't be able to rent without it). When buying insurance coverage double check the maximum time period. Example my Chase United Plus credit card only covers collision/damage up to 15 days maximum.

Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

We travelled to the Big Island in June from Australia and had much the same problem. We looked at the Discount Hawaii Car Rental website where you can select your country of origin and then select the option to include insurance. In the end we actually booked directly with Avis as the rate was better - when booking you pick your country of residence and then can see the available insurance options. Avis were also good as your spouse doesn't have to pay the additional drive fee - I think this was on average about $13 for some of the companies, so that can add up quickly.

Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please

Missed the opportunity to edit my post above to say the additional driver fee was up to $13/day, not $13 for the whole rental period

Reply to: Car rental insurance advice for a New Zealander please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted